Dead stuff

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Dead stuff

Post by danabanana »

Is it dangerous at all?

Asking because Teagan has a talent for finding dead frogs in the park I take her to - nice squashed/run over ones that have been there several days and dried out in the sun. Sometimes I don't realize what it is she's picked up til I see her running past with a pair of feet sticking out of her mouth. Now she knows I am going to take it off her so won't recall while she has one - have kind of overcome this with treats though, she will now drop the frog a few feet away, come to me for a treat and attempt to bolt it down and get back to the frog before I can put her lead back on. Have managed to get the lead on in time so far though. She tends to play with the dead frogs more than anything, roll on it, fling it about a bit etc but I heard a definate crunch from one this morning.

Also in the house I am staying in at the moment, we have mice. The girls' understandably don't want to put poison down because of the Lhasa, and now Teagan - they were given traps but haven't been putting them down in case of broken puppy toes, and in any case the mice have not made much of an appearance since Teagan has been here (the Lhasa is quite happy just to lie down and watch them pinching food from his bowl). However, we left the dogs in the kitchen for about 20 minutes yesterday just to pop to the shops, and came back and let them out. Didn't even notice anything at first til Teagan started barking at the Lhasa, it looked like he had taken something from her so I went to see what it was... and there was a still-alive-but-drenched-in-doggy-saliva-and-very-shaken-up mouse on the floor.

Noah (the lhasa) has never been bothered or interested in the mice at all so we assume Teagan had caught it, but it makes me wonder if she has caught others and perhaps eaten them before we have noticed?

So - long post I know but all I'm really bothered about it whether or not mice/frogs carry any disease that could affect Teagan? Mainly the mice because the dogs are left alone in the house for about an hour 2/3 times a week in the crossover between me leaving for work and the lhasa's owner getting in.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Frogs are okay-ish, toads very much not. Can cause a dramatic reaction, drooling, fits, that kind of stuff.

Assuming dead mice have not ingested poison from other sources (next door?) the worst they'll give your dog is parasites, especially worms.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

well that's kind of a relief! She hasn't actually eaten a frog, just had a good chew. Had visions of her catching bubonic plague or something! She's up to date with worming x
woodfern

Post by woodfern »

It would be easier to plug up the mouse holes. Caulk cracks. Use steele wool in holes around pipes. Tack tin can lids over holes.
Mollysmom

Re: Dead stuff

Post by Mollysmom »

danabanana wrote:Is it dangerous at all?

and there was a still-alive-but-drenched-in-doggy-saliva-and-very-shaken-up mouse on the floor.
I'm so sorry but this made me LOL! I have a large (70+lb) dog who is horrible at that same game! I'll come into the kitchen after work and find her in her penned off section with slobbery spiders quite often! I always feel a little sad for the poor buggers, since she doesn't eat them, just mouths them until they cant rightly move and then paws at them so that they will (the result naturally being them never moving again!)
The image of that poor little house mouse just cracked me up.

Nothing to add other than what the others have said, so long as there's no way that the rodent has ingested poison its quite alright that the furries have gotten at him. Keep up to date with their shots and wormings.
And good luck with the frogs! (makes you cringe a bit when they lick you after they eat al fresco eh?) haha!
danabanana

Re: Dead stuff

Post by danabanana »

Mollysmom wrote:
danabanana wrote:Is it dangerous at all?

and there was a still-alive-but-drenched-in-doggy-saliva-and-very-shaken-up mouse on the floor.
I'm so sorry but this made me LOL! I have a large (70+lb) dog who is horrible at that same game! I'll come into the kitchen after work and find her in her penned off section with slobbery spiders quite often! I always feel a little sad for the poor buggers, since she doesn't eat them, just mouths them until they cant rightly move and then paws at them so that they will (the result naturally being them never moving again!)
The image of that poor little house mouse just cracked me up.

Nothing to add other than what the others have said, so long as there's no way that the rodent has ingested poison its quite alright that the furries have gotten at him. Keep up to date with their shots and wormings.
And good luck with the frogs! (makes you cringe a bit when they lick you after they eat al fresco eh?) haha!
Hehe she did play that game with a moth that had got into the kitchen the other day!

Thankfully moved out of the mouse house a while ago now, no mice here (yay!)