Best kibble

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bluegirly01

Best kibble

Post by Bluegirly01 »

Hi

I've currently got Mac on Royal Canin. However I want him off of it after discovering that there's 20% fat in it (which I think is too much). Can anyone recommend a good brand of food that is reasonably priced and good for dogs that scratch a lot? I regularly flea Mac so it's not fleas causing him to scratch.

Hayley
runlikethewind

Re: Best kibble

Post by runlikethewind »

Are you in the UK?
Bluegirly01

Post by Bluegirly01 »

Yes I am in the UK.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

While there are many reasons why a dog might be scratching, grain allergy is one of them. For kibble, look for a brand that is grain free. I'm feeding my dog raw, but prior to that I was feeding Taste of the Wild which is a great kibble with no grain added. I don't know if this is available in your neck of the woods, and there are several really good grain free kibbles out there. I just thought I'd plug the one I like best. :wink: :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Both of my girls are on Blue Buffalo wilderness formula which is grain free. Someday I will go the raw route, but for now this is working out well for us. Picking a new food can be overwhelming! I know it was for me...good luck! :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Have you had Mac checked over by a vet for his scratching? If there is some underlying cause then changing food probably won't help much.

There are supplements such as Yumega Plus which are meant to help itchy dogs, so you may be best finding a good all-round dog food and giving a supplement in addition rather than looking for a food specifically for itchy skin.

A very good make in terms of quality for the money is CSJ, which is available in the UK. They do a range of different kibbles, but are very helpful so if you ring/email Ceri there she may be able to advise on what might suit Mac best (assuming there's no underlying medical issue that needs treatment).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Orijen. But I agree with the above. Try to find source of itching too via elimination