Rawhide

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

Rawhide

Post by Bingles »

I was told today by a friend to get Bingles some rawhide to chew as they like it. Is it ok to give it to puppys? as I have read it can swell up in there bellys
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

It's risky stuff. Not only can it block insides if swallowed, it has been treated with a whole host of chemicals to stop it rotting.

Healthy chewing includes raw chicken wings (never cooked) lumps of raw tripe if you can get that, or some raw breast of lamb with the bones still in. Or a cabbage, cauliflower, some apples and carrots, or a cardboard box (no metal bits).
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Thanks for the reply, I was looking at it a few times in the shop andwas always turned against it but then told today to try it but I thought I would check on here first.

I have cabage and stuff but thought I had to keep her on puppy food till she was 1
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I wean my pups straight onto 'real' food :D (like their Mums would do) and I've always had healthy, lively pups that grow at the right speed and to the right size. "Puppy food" generally is recommended by people who want to sell it :wink:
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
HenrysDad

Post by HenrysDad »

Owdb1tch wrote:It's risky stuff. Not only can it block insides if swallowed, it has been treated with a whole host of chemicals to stop it rotting.

Healthy chewing includes raw chicken wings (never cooked) lumps of raw tripe if you can get that, or some raw breast of lamb with the bones still in. Or a cabbage, cauliflower, some apples and carrots, or a cardboard box (no metal bits).
Agreed with the rawhide, but NO, NO, NO on the cabbage! Cabbage is incredibly gaseous for ANY animal (including humans, BTW). It's one of the big giant no-nos for guinea pigs because of the kind of gas it can create in an animals' stomach (it can kill a guinea pig). The same goes for dogs...while the gas probably wouldn't kill it, it just might upset his stomach (and upset your nose when he passes wind!).
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Cabbage is fine.... thing is, dogs dont chew like we do, so they wont get the full on effect that properly masticated cabbage will give.

In any case, given whole, to gnaw on the dog will not be overloading his stomach with it.

Given a huge amount blended to a fine pulp, now that could possibly cause a farty/burpy dog - but in the interests of keeping a dog entertained, a fart here and a burp there are preferable to a bored dog being stressed.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

emmabeth wrote:Cabbage is fine.... thing is, dogs dont chew like we do, so they wont get the full on effect that properly masticated cabbage will give.

In any case, given whole, to gnaw on the dog will not be overloading his stomach with it.

Given a huge amount blended to a fine pulp, now that could possibly cause a farty/burpy dog - but in the interests of keeping a dog entertained, a fart here and a burp there are preferable to a bored dog being stressed.
This could only be said by a woman who has not yet met Smelly Ellie - she was not so named just cos it rhymes you know! Her farts are radio active and all of the plants in my house have either wilted or made a bid for freedom and fresh air........................... :lol: :lol: :lol: