Questions about Storing/Preserving Meat

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Questions about Storing/Preserving Meat

Post by Fundog »

As I've stated numerous times, I have NOT given up the dream of going raw! And although we are not really close to meeting that goal, Mr. Fundog and I have revisited the idea again. He is not adverse to raw feeding, so long as it does not cost more than the cheapest dog food available. :( I know, it's pathetic that feeding our beloved furry family members a quality food is limited by dollars, but that's the way our life is going these days. :(

Anyhoo.... I've been noodling until my poor little noodles have turned to porridge. :lol: And there may be a chance we could come across enough fresh goat meat (we do live in an agricultural, farming region, afterall!), along with whatever doves and squirrels I manage to bag, and perhaps an old tough free-range chicken that no longer lays eggs now and then.... enough meat to feed the girls for a year, and for less than $20 a month, if I find the right sources. :idea:

But that still leaves us with the logistical problem of how to store and preserve all this meat, as our little fridge freezer is barely large enough for our family's two week grocery supply, let alone dog food! And we cannot afford a chest freezer at this time, nor do we have room for it. Now... in the winter, when it is cold and freezing, we can store meat in our picnic ice chests, with the lids securely tied down, outside, and that would be fine. As long as it is cold enough to keep the meat from thawing. But winter doesn't last forever, and the sun will come out eventually, and thaw things out.

So I was wondering if the dogs could still get a lot of nutritional benefit from dried meat (jerkey), or even if I bottled it up for the pantry? Would it still be better than cheap kibble? What about bones? How can I keep the bones from spoiling, and still be safe for the girls to eat? Afterall, they need the bones-- that's a vital part of the prey model diet.

BTW, remember that lamb we butchered earlier in the year? Well, the fat absorbed the dank, earthy smell of our cellar, so my family and I did not really care for it. :P But the girls have been LOVING it! Last week they shared the neck, and this morning I gave them a huge hunk of stew meat (it was the scapula with meat attached) It's a great way to clear space in the freezer for meats we do like, and will eat. :lol: Their breakfast was so huge this morning that they will only need a light snack for supper this evening. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
JudyN

Re: Questions about Storing/Preserving Meat

Post by JudyN »

I can't answer what you're really asking, I'm afraid, but just wondered if there's any way you could get a freezer for free, or for very little. Loads of people must upgrade to bigger ones, downgrade to smaller ones, or simply decide theirs is too tatty and want a shiny new model.

In the UK there's an organisation called Freecycle where people advertise stuff they don't want and are happy to give away. You can also post if there's something in particular they're after. It might be worth having a look for something like that, or just ask around, look in local papers, advertise in shop windows...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Really a freezer is the way, and I hope you find a cheap/free one (or more). Over here they are often free to collector when people move home or upgrade, as JudyN says. An advertisement might bring you joy.

We have four freezers and only one is for us 8)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

[quote="We have four freezers and only one is for us 8)[/quote]

Holy Moley! :shock: :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I got my freezer from ebay for a few pounds.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fundog wrote:[quote="We have four freezers and only one is for us 8)

Holy Moley! :shock: :lol:[/quote]

:lol: We often get meat offered in large quantities!

Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Last night I was again researching for companies that sell wild game, such as squirrel, rabbit, etc. All of the links my search revealed were from the U.K., and at really reasonable prices too!-- but almost nothing from the U.S. :? I think I want to move to England! Does anyone have a spare room for rent until we can find our own flat? :lol:

(We do have an abundance of wild game here, but the abundance is balanced out by an equal abundance of predators--- last night I was getting annoyed listening to the Golden Eagle screeching through the mobile home park, hunting for feral cats! :shock: )
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Is there any way you can link up with people who shoot game? Over here they get to the stage where they are pleased to supply it. Due to the law they can only sell to registered game dealers, so they give us the game and we give them a bottle of something warming or do something to help them.

minkee

Post by minkee »

re: freezers - there's a thing we have over here called 'freecycle' or 'freegle'. People give away the things they don't need anymore, and ask for things they do! Free - recycling. Maybe there's something similar in your area? Freezer etc are a thing that come up quite often because they're quite a hassle to get rid of.
ImageImage
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Make sure you factor in reduced vets bills, dogs fed raw tend to need less medical attention (no need for teeth to be cleaned, better immune systems, etc) which can make all the difference with vets fees these days :shock:

Clare xxx
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

In our area of the US we have Craigslist which seems similar to the freecycle site in the UK. People can post items for free or sale. You might see if this is in your area as well.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

ClareMarsh wrote:Make sure you factor in reduced vets bills, dogs fed raw tend to need less medical attention (no need for teeth to be cleaned, better immune systems, etc) which can make all the difference with vets fees these days :shock:

Clare xxx

Fortunately, my dogs have enjoyed very good health, inspite of a cheap diet. I've only taken them to the vet for their booster vaccines, and rabies renewal. There was a time when Annie had some ear infections I had to take her in for, but really that was only a couple of times in all the eight years I've had her! And she has not had another infection in two or three years, so we've been very lucky. 8)

We have Craigslist here too, but nobody every gives anything away for free, except dogs and cats. If there is a chance someone wants it, there is a profit to be made. You can't even get meat scraps or soup bones for less than $2.00 per pound! :(
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Fundog wrote: We have Craigslist here too, but nobody every gives anything away for free, except dogs and cats. If there is a chance someone wants it, there is a profit to be made. You can't even get meat scraps or soup bones for less than $2.00 per pound!
Fundog, I don't know about your area, but if you check different places, you might be able to get meat scraps or soup bones cheaper by the pound, if you buy it in bulk. I know I would, but that would be after I got another chest freezer first! 8)
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown