Giving Liquid Medication

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

yummybagel

Giving Liquid Medication

Post by yummybagel »

Hello!
I have a 2 year old male Beagle, and we were given liquid medications from the vet to give to him, which is a pain..
He takes pills very easily if we wrap it with food, but there's no way of concealing the liquid medication in any way...Or I can't think of a way..The liquid medications were given in a needle-less syringe, and I tried wrapping food around the tip of the syringe, where the needle usually goes, and squirting it in when he came to eat the treat. But I think that was a horrible idea, since he doesn't want to come near the syringe now even with food wrapped around it. And I felt extremely guilty for betraying his trust :cry:

Any way, any ideas on how to give him liquid medications???
JudyN

Re: Giving Liquid Medication

Post by JudyN »

Have you checked to see if he thinks it tastes nice? it's just possible that he'd be happy to lick it off a spoon. Though my dog would lick pretty well anything off a spoon...

Once I had to give my cat tablets regularly and we had a fair few wrestling matches before we both realised that she actually liked the tablets :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Can you check with the vet if the meds are available in tablet form?

With mine, if they have to take it they get the syringe in the corner of the mouth, head held up, squirt, rub throat, administer treat. They glare for a bit but sometimes they have to do what I want even if it isn't nice. Getting wormer into horses has made me a hard woman with medication! :twisted:

If it's only a small amount, drip it on his nose and he should lick it off.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
yummybagel

Post by yummybagel »

Nettle wrote:Can you check with the vet if the meds are available in tablet form?

With mine, if they have to take it they get the syringe in the corner of the mouth, head held up, squirt, rub throat, administer treat. They glare for a bit but sometimes they have to do what I want even if it isn't nice. Getting wormer into horses has made me a hard woman with medication! :twisted:
Unfortunately, it is only available in liquid form..I too tried to be a hard woman with medication, but Bagel wouldn't even come near me if I have a syringe in my hand.
JudyN wrote:Have you checked to see if he thinks it tastes nice? it's just possible that he'd be happy to lick it off a spoon. Though my dog would lick pretty well anything off a spoon...
So I took your idea and tried giving it to him in a spoon..And turns out that he hates the taste. He woulds sniff the medicine in the spoon and slowly back away like it's some kind of poison that I'm trying to give him :lol: So I sprinkled bits of chicken in the medication, and he relunctantly licks the medication and the chicken..Not the fastest way to give him medication, but at least it works..
Thank you guys for your help! :P
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Glad you've found a way that works for you - but for any others reading -

yummybagel wrote:Bagel wouldn't even come near me if I have a syringe in my hand.
Set yourself up for success. Load syringe. Take dog for walk. Come back home and with dog still on lead, medicate. Not coming near you is not an option - and we should never call a dog to us when we intend to do something it won't like, because that weakens the trust and therefore the recall.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS