Seasonal Affective Disorder in dogs

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Seasonal Affective Disorder in dogs

Post by JudyN »

This is out of interest, really... for now at any rate.

Around last Xmas, Jasper, who was around a year old, became much quieter and subdued. He didn't want to play, or go for walks, when I greeted him in the morning he didn't respond, nor did he respond when OH came in from work. For some of this time he was on Zylkene to see if it helped with his occasional aggression (it didn't) but he'd been going this way before the Zylkene and didn't pick up when I stopped giving it. Also, for some of this time we had a very prolonged spell of snow and ice which us on the south coast of the UK have no idea how to cope with :lol: I was slipping and sliding and probably looking very unconfident, and also the snow made his paws bleed :( However, again, he seemed quiet before this and didn't pick up after the thaw.

He had been neutered in mid-October but although I know some will claim (with good reason :wink: ) that this was far too early, I haven't heard of early neutering causing this sort of problem - he was subdued in the house and garden as well as not wanting to go out. He didn't seem anxious or stressed - in fact his mild SA seemed to get a little better as when I came home he'd still be on his bed and didn't bother getting up to say hello :shock:

Of course I took him to the vet's though I had a job persuading them that he wasn't just calming down with age. He had blood and stool tests which were all normal, and a full panel thyroid test, also normal. Then around mid-February, he just started picking up and over the course of a few weeks turned into our happy bouncy loving playful lad again.

The vet suggested that he may suffer from SAD. Has anyone come across this or similar symptoms in dogs before? Even when he was reluctant to go out we would entice him out so he was getting plenty of sunlight - at least 2-3 hours a day. Or is it possible he just had a virus that didn't show on any tests?

I'm really hoping this won't happen again this winter - it's horrible knowing that there's something not right with your dog, particularly when people wonder why you're complaining that he doesn't shift off his bed when people come to the door :(
Last edited by JudyN on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Re: Seasonal Affective Disorder in dogs

Post by Erica »

Onyx seems to get a new health problem every winter that the vets never know what to do with...might be similar. At any rate, it goes away come spring. Then, of course, it's too hot for him to do much during the summer. :|
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Many living things, including dogs and cats, need adquate amounts of sunlight to thrive. Sunlight helps to keep the circadian rhythm in balance, which of course, keeps all the neurotransmitters and other bodily hormones and functions in their proper sequence. When these cycles get thrown off course, our health and happiness declines as well. Have you ever noticed how even the household pets will seem to gravitate toward a sunny spot on the rug or by a window, and just bask?

This winter, I recommend getting a full-spectrum lamp. These lamps utilize a special bulb that is made up of all of the bands of light, except for the ultra violiet band. I got one when I was working nights, and living an exclusively nocturnal life. Just spending one hour each evening under that lamp made a huge difference!

You can find them, learn about them, and order them online. Just do a search for "full spectrum lamps." If you choose to get one, I'm willing to wager doughnuts to dog biscuits your pets will naturally gravitate to it, and spend significant amounts of time in the light during the winter months. It is bound to help. 8)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I would be very interested in learning what results you get if you try the lamp. There is much to be learned here. Although studies have shown circadian rhythms to be important with dogs, I have not heard of anything like SAD being researched with respect to them.

I too live on the South Coast :) though several counties from Dorset, and my dogs (and indeed I) were energised by the snow. I suspect as well as the cleaner air, the light reflecting off the snow was good for us. I do wonder if your dog had some underlying infection or low-level pain which he has since sorted out for himself. Though the health check sounded good, they can hide pain/illness in obscure places sometimes. That's why I always ask people to get their male dogs checked for swollen prostate - it must hurt like hell but isn't a routine part of a vet check unless you have a vet like mine.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote:That's why I always ask people to get their male dogs checked for swollen prostate - it must hurt like hell but isn't a routine part of a vet check unless you have a vet like mine.
Heehee, my vet was reluctant enough to check his thyroid levels, I can't wait to ask him to check Jasper's prostrate! :lol: Would it not be unusual to have prostate problems in such a young neutered dog? Still, I guess it's easy to check as long as it's not me having to do it...
Fundog wrote: Have you ever noticed how even the household pets will seem to gravitate toward a sunny spot on the rug or by a window, and just bask?

I do that myself :wink:

I think if he shows similar symptoms this winter then after a vet check, a full-spectrum lamp will be worth a try. I may well bask alongside him :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

JudyN wrote:Would it not be unusual to have prostate problems in such a young neutered dog?
Unusual because it isn't part of a routine check :lol: one of my clients just found this very condition (via her vet) in her year and a half old neutered dog - because I really pushed for it to be checked.

I suspect it's a lot more common than we realise.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS