Chicken Soup/Kong question

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Chicken Soup/Kong question

Post by Suzette »

I made some chicken soup from scratch the other day and filled a Kong with some of the broth and froze it. Now I'm wondering if it is indeed safe to give my puppy (14 weeks old) since I make by broth with onions and minced garlic. I did strain the broth before filling the Kong, but I've read on here both onions and garlic are not good for dogs in larger quantities. I'm sure I'm erring on the side of caution here, but I would never want to give her something that might harm her or upset her tummy. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Re: Chicken Soup/Kong question

Post by ladybug1802 »

Onions are poisonous for dogs so I wouldnt give anything containing onions to my dog...and the toxicity is just the same whether they are raw or cooked.

Garlic is safe for dogs in moderation, so the garlic side wouldnt be a problem - unless you put a whole load in! But I wouldnt give it to your pup simply because of the onion content. But good on you for thinking of yummy things to put in the kong! I make up chicken stock sometimes and put it in the kongs and freeze it.....simple to do so maybe try that instead of soup?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

A little trace of onion in some strained broth from home made soup is not going to do any harm-- as long as it is not given to her every meal, every day, for several weeks. One of my dogs' favorite treats is the leftover spaghetti sauce-- yes, it has a bit of onion, but it's only a trace, for flavor, and it is only an occasional treat. The big thing you need to worry about is to never let your dog actually get a hold of an entire onion, or to deliberately add onion to his/her food on a regular basis. But an occasional trace in a recipe is not going to do any harm. (Now a recipe in which onion is the main feature I would not do: like French onion soup, or onion dip, for example!) :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Thanks so much ladies for taking the time to respond! I appreciate the information. :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
misskris

Post by misskris »

i always flavor Daisy's chicken broth with a clove of garlic. I just remove the whole clove before feeding it to her. :) You can also add carrots, celery and zucchini to flavor the broth...once the veggies cool completely, I mix em in with her food. she lovesssss it and it's healthy for them too...and since it's nice and soft, it's easily digestible. :mrgreen: