Giving a Puppy Milk

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

Giving a Puppy Milk

Post by Bingles »

I'm just wondering is this ok to do. I ask as I gave her, her puppy nuts for dinner last night and thought i would give her a small bit if tepid warm milk in with it, something not to make it so dry and since then her Poo has been really runny. Have I given her an upset stomach by doing so. She is not dropping anywhere and is still able to give me a warning that she wants to go and has been going on her mat over night but its still runny this morning and i'm a little worried.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Not sure whether it would be the milk or not, but just as a general comment puppies are prone to upset tummies just as babies are. When I first got Ellie I rushed her to the vets the moment she was sick or had an upset tummy and was charged about £60 for some paste and for them to say don't feed her for 24 hours. :shock:

All I am trying to say is don't panic. Keep an eye on her of course but she is likely to have quite a few upset tummies as a pup which will not really be any great cause for concern. My vet told me (after two lots of £60 :shock: ) only to be concerned if she was sick and had the runs at the same time as the danger then was dehydration.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Hello Ocelot0411, thankyou for your reply. I have been sitting here panicing that I had made her Ill. I will jsut give her, her nuts for the next few days and see how she gets on with them.

The good thing I should imagine is that she seems ok apart from that. She is still jumping around and playing the same as she ever was so that must mean she isnt feeling too ill. Hopefully all will be back to normal soon

Thanks again :)
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Cow milk is for baby cattle. It is NOT good for dogs, and as you have discovered, causes a runny tummy.

Once a pup has been weaned, it does not need milk of any kind. Before a pup is weaned, the only milk it should have is in its Mum.

Before you ask :D no, not goat milk or any other sort - weaned pups don't need milk but more to the point, they lack the stomach enzymes to process it, so it gives them tummy ache and some of them get the squits.
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Bingles wrote: I have been sitting here panicing that I had made her Ill.
Oh bless you have 'new mum' syndrome! :lol: I used to panic about everything if she coughed I was on the internet reading about kennel cough and the first time she ate a sock, I called in sick the next day so I could sit and wait to see what happened to it (she pooped it out whole and was generally unphased by the whole thing).

Its only naturally to worry yourself silly about them when they are pups, but as with kids they are actually a lot more resilient than you would think. So try not to think the worst at the first sign of a snuffle. Thats one of the great things about this forum, there are people here with years and years of experience who have seen and done it all before, so if in doubt come here and ask and someone will help you out.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Owdb1tch wrote:Cow milk is for baby cattle. It is NOT good for dogs, and as you have discovered, causes a runny tummy.

Once a pup has been weaned, it does not need milk of any kind. Before a pup is weaned, the only milk it should have is in its Mum.

Before you ask :D no, not goat milk or any other sort - weaned pups don't need milk but more to the point, they lack the stomach enzymes to process it, so it gives them tummy ache and some of them get the squits.
Yes sadly I have learned the hard way :( She won't be getting it again I know that, I should have know no good would come of listening to my other half lol
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Ocelot0411 wrote:
Bingles wrote: I have been sitting here panicing that I had made her Ill.
Oh bless you have 'new mum' syndrome! :lol: I used to panic about everything if she coughed I was on the internet reading about kennel cough and the first time she ate a sock, I called in sick the next day so I could sit and wait to see what happened to it (she pooped it out whole and was generally unphased by the whole thing).

Its only naturally to worry yourself silly about them when they are pups, but as with kids they are actually a lot more resilient than you would think. So try not to think the worst at the first sign of a snuffle. Thats one of the great things about this forum, there are people here with years and years of experience who have seen and done it all before, so if in doubt come here and ask and someone will help you out.
I know these forums are great. I have not taken my eyes off her since I got her. She was whining the other day in her sleep and I was wondering if she was in pain or something then she got the hicups yes and I thought she was having a fit its mad. This is the first dog I have ever had so Im doing my best I have just brought the book as I was advised and there is some great stuff in there
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Don't worry - you know now.

It is often hard to know what to do - your common sense tells you one thing and then you go and look to double check and you find all sorts of people syaing something else.

I know of people who wean puppies onto weetabix and milk as two of their four meals a day. Why? Why feed an animal who has a tiny stomach and really needs as much quality nutrition as possible, two meals that he cannot digest and will cause the runs....

Why is because they think they should... not for any good reason at all. (I feed small puppies on scraped down mashed up MEAT until they can properly chew and until then they have chicken wings as a chewy toy rather than a meal).

Anyway... as I say, now you know. If food needs wetting down, wet down with a little warm water.
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

Bingles, don't blame yourself - I've read SO MANY dog books and articles over the years and spoken with SO MANY dog breeders all of whom say oh yes puppy needs milk. I've even known VETS recommend it :shock:

And when I ask why, they can't say! Because it's illogical that a weaned animal needs milk.

So many will give a pup milk with breakfast cereals, rusks, bread and so on. That's why we see all those wolves and jkackals in the supermarkets, buying up the milk and Weetipops :lol:

So - how were you to know? It's only the ruthless application of logic, nutritional knowledge and common sense PLUS experience that tells the truth.

Enjoy your milk-free puppy!
Find the cause, find the cure.

A dog is never 'bad' or 'naughty'. It is simply behaving like a dog.
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Yes Im going to do that tonight, the poor love still has the squits and there is no sign of it hardening but its not been 24 hrs yet I hope by morning she will be ok.

I supose to my standards it would have only been a drop of milk but to her as you say such a small yummy it would have seemed like loads
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Thanks for all your replys, Just to let you know she is much better today. I am delighted.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Pleased things are ok ... you are getting there. It's all scary to start with but you will get the hang of things.... honest!! :lol:

oh and don't worry about "bomarding" with questions, we all have to start somewhere, and even me, on yet another pooch has learnt so much from the others on here. :D