I am at a loss

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MiaRose100907

I am at a loss

Post by MiaRose100907 »

So I have no idea what is going on with my Pit/GSD mix. I have had him since February, and he 's never really been disinterested in food, until now. For the past 3-4 days, he will just mosey on over to his dish, (when before he'd bounce around) and most of the time won't eat it unless I coax him. He will just look at me the whole time, and then sniff the bowl and walk away. He's been on this food for awhile, so I can't imagine it's the food, (but perhaps it could be) unless you're supposed to switch it up every now and then. He's on Innova, which is a good food, right? I have a little Shih Tzu/Chihuahua puppy and she gobbles her food down no problem. I pay attention to them both equally so I don't think it's depression. He also still shows willingness to play and still begs for my food, so I know he's still got his appetite. I schedule their feeding times so he doesn't nibble all day while I'm at work.
I am just confused at this sudden change in behavior. Perhaps a vet visit is in order? I don't know... If someone could shed some light that would be much appreciated. I am worried that something could be wrong. :(

Thanks guys.
JudyN

Re: I am at a loss

Post by JudyN »

If it was me, I'd probably want to take my dog to the vet for a check-up to be on the safe side. However, dogs do sometimes get bored of their food, and some people find they have to switch foods every few weeks, which isn't ideal for a dog's digestion.

What often works, though, is just to add a couple of spoonfuls of wet food to the kibble. So maybe you could try that first and if it works, there's probably not a lot wrong with him.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I second the advice for a vet check.

Also, how old is he? and what is the weather like - adult dogs need less than puppies and also if they are doing less exercise they may eat less - andi f it is hot it may well put a dog off their food for a bit.

But vet check to be sure because a lot of things start out with a dog off their food!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
MiaRose100907

Post by MiaRose100907 »

Well when I got home tonight I put down the food he didn't touch earlier and he sucked it down like he used to. I know it's because he was probably pretty hungry since he didn't eat ealier and I only feed him twice a day. What do you think? Do you think I should take him to the vet still even though he ate when I got home from work?

He is almost 3 years old, and the weather has been off and on with hot and cold. Today it was warm but not too hot, and the past days has been about the same. Sunny and kind of warm in the sun but my apartment stays pretty cool and comfortable since I'm surrounded by bushes and trees. He has gotten about the same amount of exercise as he did when I first got him; actually probably more than when I first got him.
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

i would go to the Vet to make sure he's ok.
i think a dog can get tired of the same old
food 2 or 3 times a day. find somethings to
add to his food. if need be switch brands.
Erica

Post by Erica »

It might just be the scheduling. While I'd still advise a vet visit, since it was a sudden change, I've noticed that my GSD doesn't want to eat in the morning in the summertime - instead, she'll wait until about 3 or 4 in the afternoon, eat, then eat her dinner at 7 or 8. The malamute I sit for does about the same thing, though his schedule is the same year-round. Our GSD eats at normal times in the fall/winter.

We add either a bit of canned food or some sort of healthy, dog-friendly meat - boiled chicken or lean ground beef or such. What's great about the canned food is that it's easy, and it makes the flavor different almost every time. If you get a big pack, it has 4-5 flavors, which you can rotate. Much less boring than plain kibble! :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14