exercise for a puppy...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

misskris

exercise for a puppy...

Post by misskris »

any advice as to how much is "too much" exercise for a puppy?

Once she gets all her shots, my puppy will be 4 months old and I was planning a walk in the morning and a (short) run in the afternoon with her.

She is part Border Collie, so we have been working on lots of thinking exercises, such as hide-and-seek, obedience, etc. She loves it!

Any suggestions as to how much exercise is "enough" for puppies would be great. I don't want to build her stamina up so high that I can't tire her out when she is full-grown.

thanks so much!
kris
salamana

Re: exercise for a puppy...

Post by salamana »

I don't know where I read that, I don't know if it's real or if there are scientific proofs, but I've heard for the puppy : ten minutes + one minute for a week of age. So for a 8 weeks old puppy, you can walk 18 minutes. Maybe it's ridiculous but you can progressively increase the time with this method and so habituate your puppy to exercise without doing too much.
misskris

Post by misskris »

thank you! That is really helpful, I had absolutely no idea where to start. I googled it and it gave me TONS of different answers. I plan on asking my vet when I go for her last shots. If she says anything insightful, I'll definitely share!
Thanks again!
:D kris
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

do you take your pup out for walks ? you can exercise
in the yard. i wouldn't jog with my pup at 4 months old.
short walks and retrieving games are good. if you're not walking
your dog now be carefull when you walk her on concrete and asphalt
her pads might be soft.
misskris

Post by misskris »

thank you! Will remember that one =)