Rabbit droppings

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Rabbit droppings

Post by Suzette »

Okay, I'm not sure exactly where to put this, but this topic seemed as good as any. :) Aside from the human 'gross' factor, is there any harm in my puppy eating rabbit droppings in my yard? I remember reading once (may have even been on this forum, I simply cannot remember) that although unpleasant from our perspective, it's okay to let them as rabbits are herbivores and their droppings are full of nutrients. Hmmm....

Since we have a couple rabbits that regularly visit our yard, it would be virtually impossible to eliminate this 'snack' from my puppy's outdoor pantry. So I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Thanks!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Re: Rabbit droppings

Post by Nettle »

They are actually a 'good' type of dog food :lol: in that they consist of partly-digested vegetable matter, which is in a state where dogs can access nutrients, which they can't do anything like as easily from undigested vegetation.

So while I wouldn't advise them for training treats or as a food item - they'll do no harm, they'll even do a little good, just remember not to let the dog lick your face :mrgreen:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Nettle wrote:They are actually a 'good' type of dog food :lol: in that they consist of partly-digested vegetable matter, which is in a state where dogs can access nutrients, which they can't do anything like as easily from undigested vegetation.

So while I wouldn't advise them for training treats or as a food item - they'll do no harm, they'll even do a little good, just remember not to let the dog lick your face :mrgreen:
:lol: I love your posts Nettle. Always informative and often funny! Thanks so much for the reply. :D
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Yes I let mine eat them and also horse poo (only if it from the new forest ponies) if they fancy it. I don't stop them. They don't always go for it but just sometimes. I don't let them eat pet horse poo as I read about chemical wormers being passed through at a strength you wouldn't want your dog eating. The new forest ponies are wormed once a year but I think that is ok. Are pet horses wormed more often?

I smile at people frantically trying to call their dogs off eating rabbit poo. It's natural.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Horses are normally wormed every few months - thats how often I used to worm mine anyway as they were in paddocks with other horses, and my horse and horses at theyard were out competing a lot.
doggymama

Post by doggymama »

My puppy loves rabbit droppings. Going to the local football pitch is like being in sweet shop heaven to her.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

doggymama wrote:My puppy loves rabbit droppings. Going to the local football pitch is like being in sweet shop heaven to her.
:lol:

As for horse manure, my pup leaves that alone. No interest whatsoever. For her, it's all about the bunnies wonderful little treats! lol
Lol & Jasper

Post by Lol & Jasper »

This has made me laugh sooo much. We have just come back from Dartmoor where Jasper seemed to think there was poo tapas! He is quite picky though and some he sniffs and decides its not for him :lol: