sore belly

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Helen2009

sore belly

Post by Helen2009 »

Poor Evie has a sore belly and a couple of sore teats. She was clipped when she had her scan last week on her liver and it must be itchy as she's been scratching on and off. I noticed that it was a bit sore so I was putting some Sudocrem on every now and then but its still looks a bit angry. Anyone got any ideas what I can put on there to heal it up? Many thanks.
rawnora

Re: sore belly

Post by rawnora »

If it's an abrasion from the clipper, it would have been worse just after the injury and would be getting better each day, assuming the dog is healthy.

Otherwise, it's a reaction to something that the dog ate or was given (meds), which is being eliminated through the skin. The irritation is caused as these substances pass the nerve endings on their way through. You can remove the wastes that may be lying on the skin (with "medicated" shampoos, etc.) but this doesn't really effect the cause of the problem.

There's nothing you can put on the body that will cause it to heal. If there was, we'd have substances that would instantly knit a broken bone back together or connect torn skin. As everyone knows, only the body can heal these kinds of problems, and it's the same with internal 'injury'.

It would help greatly to take the dog off kibble while she's dealing with whatever is attempting to come out. To lighten her digestive load, try feeding only fruit with no other food for a day or two, or do the same with baked yams or sweet potatoes. Do not mix these foods with any other foods. If your dog won't eat plant matter on its own, you may have to withhold all food for a day and try again. If you do have to fast for a day, it will only help the problem fix itself quicker.

Best wishes,
Nora
http://www.NoMoreVetBills.com
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

I am sure its just abrasion from the clipper, when clipped hair grows back it can become itchy and she is scratching. I just wanted a cream to soothe really... and something that wouldn't hurt in case she licked it off. Its nothing major, but its just a little irritating to her at the moment. She had no meds when she went in for her scan.. they only took bloods.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Aloe vera gel is good, or hypercal cream (a mixture of calendula and hypericum) is safe and very effective too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Of course Aloe Vera!! My Mum has some of that. Thanks Nettle x
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Also, honey - honey is great for all manner of cuts/scrapes etc. I think the only thing I would be wary of putting honey on is a yeasty type skin issue, but actually even then I reckon I am being over cautious.

Rawnora - I am sorry but your post is IMO misleading and bordering on rubbish.

No, there is nothing that will miraculously and instantaneously heal a wound, but then, that ISNT what the OP was asking for and you make out that nothing could aid healing.

In fact it could, applying honey to a wound CAN aid healing (it won't do the job entirely without the bodies input and I am not suggesting it could), as it is antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiseptic. It is also excellent for use in animals because its highly unlikely they will do any harm to themselves by licking it.

To advise someone to radically change their dogs diet for one high in sugar such as an all fruit diet is IMO irresponsible, whilst it may not do any lasting harm (though in a dog with an underlying health issue it may!) its at the very least, liable to cause diarrhoea which is hardly what a dog already injured or ill needs!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Duffy Jones

Post by Duffy Jones »

There are lots of reasons for itching and scratching. It could be from the clippers but you really have to see if the infection is from yeast or bacteria. The Best way to figure that out is by looking at a sample under the microscope. If it is yeast or bacteria then you can either use topical therapy for whichever infection you have. If topical does not work then you might need oral drugs for either yeast or bacteria. Razor burn can set you up for either

Honey has been used for thousands of years for healing wounds. However it is mostly used for larger open wounds that need a bandage and you have to use at least 1 inch deep. The honey is a bacteria static agent and prevents bacteria from growing but you really need more than I think you can do from a logistical stand point and not have the dog lick it off or get it all over your house.

Duf
Duffy Jones, DVM
Peachtree Hills Animal Hospital
[email protected]
www.peachtreehillsvet.com
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

thank you all for your help. Tried the aloe vera and it healed up lovely. I will remember the tip about the honey aswell Emmabeth (for myself aswell!!)
Liv

Post by Liv »

Manuka honey is the best! Fabulous stuff.