Treats

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Spinktygirl

Treats

Post by Spinktygirl »

Hi all,
My first post for advice so be nice to me :lol:

Would really like advice on what treats to feed my 7mth old Jack (parson) russell called Marley.
We have only had him for 3 weeks, When he came he was eating bakers complete but have changed him to burns dry which he likes and I feel is much better for him (have noticed he has stopped licking his front paws already).
I have been cooking bits of chicken and liver he loves both, but as he lived on a farm and lived in a stable he isn't 100% house trained so want to use these extra special treats of chicken and liver for going to toilet outside.
I don't want to feed him treats that are high in additives etc so that kinda rules out most shop bought.
Would like to make my own treats and have found some recipes on the net and they contain ingredients that look good, so can i cook treats use cheese etc as I'm unsure as to whether he can have dairy foods?
We are both working hard at training as well so obviously want to keep treats small or he'll end up the size of a house and we can't walk outside for another 11 days as 2nd jab is tomorrow. (he is very timid also so have to watch the praise as he looks a little scared sometimes)
Plz Plz help
Many thanks in advance Sara and Marley

P.s nobody warned me that the first time your dog learns a command it is the best feeling in the intire universe :D
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Hi and welcome!

Chicken and liver are great, my girl also likes chicken skin that we take off the breasts we cook for ourselves. Pieces of carrot and nuts are good too, and cheese (currently the only thing she will work for). Burns do some training treats that are 100% fish fillet but they smell!
Spinktygirl

Post by Spinktygirl »

Thanks for tips - want to try and feed him a natural additive free diet so am pleased you feed cheese with no bad affects. Will make him some chicken and cheese treats to use for training and stick with the liver and chicken for toileting and hopefully once he is house trained can use both.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Kato will sell his soul for cheese, :roll: but as we - well Kato, is now on a diet I just use bikkies from his daily allowence. Use treats sparinlgy otherwise you may end up at weight watchers with us!! :lol:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ooh - mine likes brazil nuts too. I think I read they are a good source of omega 3 :)
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Over Christmas I played the "where's the walnut" under 3 cups - that was a good game, :lol: and he can sure crack walnut shell with them teeth!! :lol:
Spinktygirl

Post by Spinktygirl »

Thanks for the excellant tips. Will try both cheese and nuts. Am off to the dog food shop tomorrow as they have told me they have some natural holistic treats (It's where I buy the burns food) and she said there are some very small ones so great for training.
He has now had second jab so the vet has said we can go out for a walk but avoid other dogs for another 10 days, as he is completly confused by the lead it will probably take that long to get out of the front garden :?
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Yep again on the cheese, mine loves cheese strings. She is also a big fan of little slices of sausage. Natures menu do little bags of natural treats which they stock in pets at home, but to be honest the cheese and sausage would probably go doen better and are probably cheaper.

Also someone posted a receipe for liver cake on here recently (think it was beagler) so you could do that to if you are feeling creative.

Welcome to the forum btw and we are alway nice to people!! :lol:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

yep, beagler posted that for me, haven't tried it yet though
Spinktygirl

Post by Spinktygirl »

Doh - what an idiot i am never even thought about sausages, organic of couse lol.
DH will be moaning - he came home yesterday to find I had cooked liver as treats for the dog but hadn't cooked him any (he loves liver and onions) and said "dog gets fed better then I do." He was only joking and a kiss soon sorted him out - DH not dog!
beagler

Post by beagler »

he,he :lol:
sounds like my hubby!! Watches me making livercake or other such things and always says "I wish I was a Beagle!" Can't say I blame him, they get more attention than he does!! It's those long ears and sad brown eyes that do it!! :lol:
Spinktygirl

Post by Spinktygirl »

DH just can't get the tilting of the head and the eyes right yet though he does try :lol:
TY again for all your excellant tips. I have been to the pet store and managed to get several bags of treats all natural and holistic. I even managed to get the fish bites by burns that were recommended (yes they stink :( ).
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

My first Dobe loved carrots! My late great lab mix loved popcorn and peanuts.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
llvonn

Post by llvonn »

My dog tuli loves gardening. He especially likes picking the vegetables. I think his favourite is fresh beans. Over the summer we would sit on the couch and share a handful of beans while watching tv. He also likes eating the leaves. Carrots and beetroot are also favourites - but he is a messy eater - leaves scraps all over the carpet. :D