playing with treats

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

playing with treats

Post by danabanana »

I've never had a dog that did this before so am finding it strange - Teagan has developed a habit. When I am doing clicker training with her, she does as asked, gets the click then I offer her a treat - and she won't take it!

She won't take treats from my hand anymore, she insists on it being on the floor and playing around with it for a bit first before eating it. (She does also hide some things - food, never toys - in corners, which I've been told is 'just a hound thing').

I've tried all different things trying to tempt her but everything has to be played with on the floor before it gets eaten. It's not a huge problem in relative terms but it does make it hard to get any training sessions in.

Am reducing her meal portions today in the hope that a slightly hungry dog will take treats as I don't want her to miss out on any training - anyone have any other suggestions?
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

What type of hound?

Hound mentality is different from non-hound. Food often needs to be 'hunted'. Sighthound types are generally not all that food-oriented. Pack hounds are generally more so but they have to sssmmmmeeellllllll everything.

Hungry dogs are best to train. Never feed before training.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

she's a beagle so scenthound. I know someone who used to have bassett hounds and she said about the hiding food in corners thing.

I normally do train before a meal but it's just getting round the 'food has to be hunted and smelt' thing - was a lot easier before she started doing this!
beagler

Post by beagler »

hi
as a beagle x 2 owner, I haven't had either of my boys actually refuse a treat. Having said that, they do "kill" their chews before they eat them and Oscar hides his chews and other treats under his bedding before he eats them. He also buries stuff in the garden but I don't think this is a houndy thing. Maybe she is bored of the food you are offering, or just not hungry. Not all beaglies are foodies, much to their owners surprise!! :lol: My two like the "find it" game. I sprinkle treats in the garden or around the kitchen and tell them to "find it" and it gets them to use their noses! It's funny watching them snuffling around too :lol:
Good luck
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Not all beaglies are foodies, much to their owners surprise!!
Yep, I am finding it quite surprising!

Been closing my hand over the treat, making it a bit more of a fun game to get the treat in the first place, which seems to be working. I feel a bit mean, like I'm 'teasing' her but hey I get her attention back which is much easier for training sessions than her play-barking and running off!

Going for our first proper walk at the weekend so I need my bribes to work!
beagler

Post by beagler »

Ooh, it's exciting going for a proper walk with new puppy, especially gorgeous Beaglie! Are you letting her off the lead? I did with my little boy and his recall is excellent. She might be too nervous of the big wide world to go too far and stay by your side. Keep the good smelly treats to hand!! Will work even better if you go before breakfast. Hungry Beagle = good recall!!!

Have fun! :D
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

beagler wrote:Ooh, it's exciting going for a proper walk with new puppy, especially gorgeous Beaglie! Are you letting her off the lead? I did with my little boy and his recall is excellent. She might be too nervous of the big wide world to go too far and stay by your side. Keep the good smelly treats to hand!! Will work even better if you go before breakfast. Hungry Beagle = good recall!!!

Have fun! :D
I don't know yet - I do want to let her off asap to play on the 'argh where's mum' kind of puppy security thing, but we live on a housing estate with a quite busy road running past.

I'm thinking of taking her to the in-laws (they live near a beach where she can't really get lost - sheer cliff one side, sea the other) to do it there off lead (to disapproving looks and comments of her being a) too young and b) a beagle, she'll never come back)

We looked after an assistance dog over the summer she had an excellent recall but still didn't let her off until we were out of the way of the road. Broken glass at the bus stop too :( (really selling where I live aren't I?)
beagler

Post by beagler »

he, he
you are exactly the same as me!! I go miles from any road before letting the tan terror off the lead.
As for the broken glass, snap!! Oh and ignore any comments you may get about Beagles being off the lead, never coming back etc, etc. Your dog at the end of the day. You know her better than anyone! I once had some woman approach me when I was walking near my house to say that she was dismayed to see "dogs like that" in a domestic environment! I asked her what she meant and she said they should be working. I said they worked every day! Not the working she meant i.e killing rabbits but working for their dinner!!! :evil: Some folk think they know everything!
Grrrrrr :roll:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

ah finally took her out and it was great! I love the puppy outlook on the world, everything is new and interesting and a potential game/meal/friend.

She's still not interested in treats from my hand, but will happily eat them off the floor or out of a kong/boomer ball - will try taking a squeaky toy next time, maybe that will be more interesting.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Took her to the beach today Beagler, and decided to brave it and let her off-lead. Think I had a minor heart attack but all was well and she came back when she realized we weren't right behind her and the waves were coming to get her!

Think I'll save off-lead for the beach though and the huge field behind the house, I'm sure she'd run across the road if she saw a leaf blowing round over the other side or something!

But glad I've done it now, think the first time is the worst :wink:
beagler

Post by beagler »

WELL DONE!!!
Yaaay! :D :D The first time is definately the worst, but it feels great when they come galloping back, ears flapping in the wind!!!
I always go miles from roads, as Beaglies have absolutely NO road (or any other) sense atall!
We were at the woods this morning, Oscar was trying to be a proper sinffer dog, looking for my son, hiding behind the trees :lol: Slept very well all morning!!!!!
Glad you took the plunge and trusted her to come back!

Happy walking :D
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

First time is always the worst! I can clearly remember the feeling! Well done! :lol:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Just an update -
Beagler, see my post in 'exercise' - sooo happy with her! That time on the beach was off-lead for about 20 seconds, had her off for a good half hour today!

She still won't take treats from my hands unless it's raw chicken/liver - maybe because her raw meals are so yummy that treats are now rendered rubbish in comparison!?!

But she will work for toys!?! Whatever I have she seems to want so have been clicking for a toy swap instead of a treat and at last I have her concentration back long enough to do some training - back on track!
beagler

Post by beagler »

hey!
you are doing really well! To be able to get a Beagle's attention when there are soooo many smells around it something!
The smellier the treat the better with your girlie, it seems!!
I know someone from classes that has a real rabbit fur toy and their dog goes wild for it. Possibly not for the squemish!!! :? Don't know where they got it though. She might like it, my boys loved it!!!!!
Enjoy your walks
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

beagler wrote:hey!
you are doing really well! To be able to get a Beagle's attention when there are soooo many smells around it something!
The smellier the treat the better with your girlie, it seems!!
I know someone from classes that has a real rabbit fur toy and their dog goes wild for it. Possibly not for the squemish!!! :? Don't know where they got it though. She might like it, my boys loved it!!!!!
Enjoy your walks
ooh, going to have a search for one of those now

There was another young'un out today that she had a bit of a puppy-wrestle with and I had to go and get her but other than that I just sat on the floor with arms outstretched and she came racing back for a cuddle! Betting that won't work for much longer!

She does still insist on going over to every stranger that she sees for a stroke, the little hussy! But honestly taking her out today was an absolute pleasure, my friend was really impressed too which was nice (another friend of hers has an 18wk old black lab that is still toileting in the house). I was so proud of her!