The ladydog and being on heat

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Re: The ladydog and being on heat

Post by Suzette »

Nettle wrote:The best ways to avoid pyo are to feed properly, keep the b itch well-exercised, and as a precautionary measure, give raspberry leaf tablets for the last week of the season and three weeks after that (total four weeks) to aid cleansing.

Nettle, Piper went into heat (started dripping) about three days ago. I want to order some of the Raspberry Leaf Tablets you talked about. Here is a site I found that sells the tablets. Is this what you were talking about? http://www.drugstore.com/natures-way-re ... af+tablets Do you give one tablet a day for four weeks? And also, noting the mg's on these tablets, is this the amount you would you give to a fifteen pound dog? Thanks so much!! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Those will do well, and for dose my vet says scale down from the human dose to the dog weight. :) You do the math because I'm lousy at it :lol: There is plenty of leeway as it's a safe herb - you'd have to be going some to overdose.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Thanks so much Nettle! :D
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks for this Nettle. Just read through the whole thing again as a refresher since Poppy has just gone into her first season and Sash has just come out of one. Sash gets very snappy at the start of her season, and very cuddly towards the end of it.

Ben has never shown any interest in Sash when she's been in season, but I think maybe it would be safer to keep him away from Poppy when I can't be there just in case? He is neutered, but I know neutered dogs can still have a go :lol:
Although he's never tried to mount either of them before (and is a little scared of them)

At the moment poor Ben just wonders why Pops doesn't want to play with him anymore. She's taking it very seriously and seems a lot more grown up all of a sudden. I've noticed her coat is gorgeous and silky and she seems to be looking for a lot of extra approval/reassurance from me, but isn't interested in playing.

Will she learn to get better at cleaning up after herself? She's dripping EVERYWHERE and whilst its fine on wooden floors it's a nightmare to get out of the carpet/mattress. Seems cruel to keep her shut away in the kitchen where it's easy to wipe up, but we are moving next week and if we take her I'd rather not have to be getting bloodstains off the new sofa/bed/carpets straight away :(
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Bendog, Piper was so similar to your Poppy during her heat (which she's at the tail end of - no pun intended! :wink: ) She was very docile, quiet and wanted to be near us even more than usual. She played, but not as heartily and she tired a lot quicker. I see those things waning now that the heat is ending and her energy and stamina are increasing again.

As for the dripping, I would say Piper's was on the moderate side, and though she was cleaning "back there" a lot, she still managed to drip onto furniture, floors, etc. I just put sheets and old towels on my sofa so she could still come up, but the fabric was protected and I just swapped the towels out as needed to keep the area fresh. Like you I have hardwood floors, so that part was easy to keep clean.

It seems that Piper's demeanor has grown so much more mature during this heat. I knew this would happen since Nettle mentions it in her thread on dog's in heat, but I guess I didn't realize just how big of a leap she would take in that area. It seems our bond is deeper now too. For so many reasons I'm happy that I learned the importance (for her and for us) of waiting to spay. :D :D
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yeah theres no doubt that I'll wait to spay until she's at least two.
I do worry about putting a dog through an unnecessary operation like spaying, but I'm not sure I cope very well with them being in season. Will wait and see how this one progresses, and will stick to boy dogs in future (neither of the girls were my decision)! Would have kept Ben entire except for moving in with Sash.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Cold water dabbed on with a cloth cleans up the spots and drips best. Soem bitches are superclean, some supermessy and the rest fit in between.

Castrated males can mate and tie. Not all do, but there is a lot of danger of injury if they do. Someone of my acquaintance who is old and experienced enough top know better had a dog killed this way a very few weeks ago. So even if the dog shows no interest, it is best to keep them apart when not under direct supervision.

Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Despite my best efforts, Piper did manage to get a spot of blood on my brand new sofa. (She started her heat two days after I had it delivered.) I didn't notice it until it was already dried. I thought it was there forever, but I got out my container of Oxyclean, mixed a small amount with some water and dabbed the spot. The stain disappeared as if it never happened. :D :D

Two days later, my teenage daughter was eating blackberries on the sofa, dropped two without realizing it and smashed them into the sofa cushion. Arrrggh!! I dabbed up as much of it as I could with cool water and then used the Oxyclean. Again, disappeared completely (to my utter shock, dismay and absolute delight!).

I just thought I'd throw this out under this thread since I'm sure it happens to many of us with females in heat and it's a great way to get blood out. :wink: :)
Erica

Post by Erica »

About when would you expect a lab-sized dog to go into her first heat? Marble's nearly 9 months old now, and no signs yet.

Edit: And would having the majority of her exercise be fetching and chasing in the garden be okay? (Like, a few sessions of 30 minutes each day?) Around here there seem to be quite a few loose dogs, and I've seen a couple entire male dogs running around. We would be most comfortable keeping a low profile and stay fairly close to home during walks once she's in season, but if walking's better for her we could try to work something out.

And thanks for that info, Suzette! We'll have to keep that in mind. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Erica, you have to do what works for you, and if you live in one of those neighbourhoods where people let dogs roam :evil: you are best to do as you thought and keep the majority of your exercise at home. If it is possible to drive somewhere better for a bit of a change of scene for your dog, do that when you can. Check you haven't had a "break-in" before you take her out in your yard as some strays can be very persistent.

Any time after 6 months is usual for a first heat, and quite a lot of ladydogs are a year or more old before they start.

Erica

Post by Erica »

Alright, thanks Nettle! I'll start trying to scope out dog-free places...:)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
bendog

Re: Sigh, that was difficult

Post by bendog »

Bit worried about Pop. She's got a bit chubby, which could just mean she needs less food, but she is also tiring more easily and she sat in her basket last night crying a bit. It's 2 and a half months since the start of her first season so could this just be the pseudo pregnancy phase, or more serious? Shes still keen to go on walks and stuff, just not quite her normal self.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

False pregnancy can be very convincing vis a vis putting on weight, and the weight goes mostly at the hindleg end of the abdomen. The whining is normal too. It's good that she wants her walks: give her as much exercise as you can manage. :)

However, if she starts drinking more than usual and/or has a temperature, keep a good watch over her.

bendog

Post by bendog »

Ok Thanks Nettle.
She's on the max exercise for her age (she's 9 months) but can certainly keep her busy in the house more.

No sign of drinking more or a temp as far as I can tell, though she's perhaps hungrier than normal (more excitable about her food - even training treats, when she's normally quite calm).
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

bump
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.