The ladydog and being on heat

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: The ladydog and being on heat

Post by Nettle »

Yep :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Out of curiosity - a friend mentioned that their OH's dog was a bit 'sulky' and needy a couple of months after being spayed. Can the drop in hormones produce a false pregnancy that long after spaying? (I don't know at what stage of her cycle she was spayed.) In general, can spayed dogs get false pregnancies? (That may be a stupid question, but I never let that stop me...)
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Poor girl - at least this time I know exactly how she feels :lol: :lol:

We were planning to have her spayed this time round but I didn't want to do it so close to the baby being born because I thought one huge life change would be enough to cope with (I'm due in 3 weeks, which would tie in almost exactly to Pop being mid cycle)

Judy - I don't know. One of my clients swears that her dog had a false pregnancy when she was pregnant, but it could all have been in her head!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I hope Poppy is back to her usual self soon.

Are phantom pregnancies common after every heat? I'm thinking (hoping?) MiMi is due her first season soon, she's just shy of 8 months and not really sure of the best way to deal with it
Erica

Post by Erica »

Marble's never really had a pronounced false pregnancy, out of several heats. Pippin and Tali didn't have one either, but they were also spayed after their first heat so I don't know if they had time to develop to that stage; I can't remember how long was between their heats and the spays. Otherwise I have no idea, sorry...not much of a help am I :lol:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

delladooo wrote:I hope Poppy is back to her usual self soon.

Are phantom pregnancies common after every heat? I'm thinking (hoping?) MiMi is due her first season soon, she's just shy of 8 months and not really sure of the best way to deal with it

Read the beginning of the thread and all will be revealed :wink:

Bendog, tell your friend that a dog can't have a false pregnancy when she is having a real one :lol:

JudyN, the disruptive effect of spaying causes a freefall in hormones which can manifest as character changes. It could also be that there was a degree of pain. It is major surgery after all, and not all owners appreciate that any kind of abdominal surgery takes a while to settle. There can also be adhesions from any kind of surgery, which will always cause a degree of pain.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Nettle wrote:Read the beginning of the thread and all will be revealed :wink:
I've read it a couple of times now but I think I'll just be apprehensive until it happens, I'm going to pass it to mum to read too though because she's asked a few questions.
Do you think we'll see a big difference after her season in terms of her seeming like a "proper lady" while Laufey is stuck?
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yes you'll probably notice her mature a lot.

Also make sure to keep Laufey separate when she's in season as he could still mate and tie with her.
You literally can't turn your back on them for a second, Charlie is neutered but managed to open the patio door and jump the baby gate to get to Poppy. Thankfully we got lucky and neither panicked but it's not ideal.

The false preg isn't a big deal with Pops, she just gets noticeably chunkier and less active and more snuggly for a while. Which considering we don't get snuggles from her often is actually kind of nice!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I can imagine he's going to be a nightmare, this will be fun :shock: If I'm really lucky she'll hold on until June (she'll then be about a year) but more likely she'll hit right in the middle of my exams. They're separated if we're out usually so will just have to keep them separated more.

Did you notice that Poppy maturing helped the boys grow up any or that they stayed as kids and annoy her?
bendog

Post by bendog »

Ben wasn't neutered til he was 4 or 5, so he never changed.
Charlie was neutered before 12 months (before we got him) and he is still the most puppyish but he has never pestered her anyway. If he wants to play he will get a toy and try to play with us.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

hmm, I think I'll have to wait and see then. Laufey does bother her to play with him but she also bothers him to play with her so I assume his behaviour with her will alter depending on how she is with him. Part of me is extremely excited for how she'll behave afterwards but then part of me feels mean for wanting her to "grow up"
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Hello everyone, sorry I've been quiet (errrr silent :lol: ).

Anyway, Ella is on day 6 of her second heat. She went 9 months in-between, not the 12 months I'd hoped for, but not bad. I'm keeping a diary of what's going on and I'll just post it all into this thread once she's done in case it's helpful for anyone. Safe to say so far its a non-event :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I keep a diary of what happens for my own reference, I'm posting it in here in case its useful to anyone.

Ella's (long coated chihuahua aged just over 18 months) second season - diary

Background - Ted (long coated chihuahua aged 4) is not a stud dog but is entire and has a reasonable amount of experience of being around bitches in season so that, combined with his personality and small size makes him reasonably easy to manage around Ella. Ella seems to have a tendency to enter into the fertile period very late in the season rather than around a week to 10 days in like most b*tches do).

There was a 36 week gap between her first season and this, her second season.

Second Season aged just over 18 months
6 May 2015 - 27 May 2015

1. 6th May
Bit more sniffing from Ted, Ella slightly swollen.
2. 7th
Excited to greet her first thing this morning. Lots more sniffing and licking. Slightly swollen, Ella has started cleaning herself. Started bleeding.
3 to 12. 8th to 17th – As day 2
13. 18th – Ted is far more interested so they can't be alone together now when I step out of the room. Ella seems a bit down and fed up, possibly from being crated a bit more than usual but she spent all morning in her crate with the door open 95% of the time so I think she's just feeling a bit rubbishy.
14. 19th – (Day 1 of separation) Ted is more interested so she can't be alone with him for a second, but he will settle if I am there to move him along. Ella is still showing no interest and just looks upset if he starts to pester her, which I am obviously immediately stopping.
15. 20th – (Day 2) If she is out of her pen Ted won't leave her alone so the second, larger, pen had gone up around the first one creating a no mans land. A few bouts of crying but mostly he has settled as usual.
16. 21st – (Day 3) Mostly ok with them both off lead on this morning's walk but I did have to move him along a couple of times. But in the house they have to be separated by the pen. Several bouts of crying and asking me to get her out the pen. But otherwise mostly relaxed.
17. 22nd – (Day 4) Kept Ted on lead this morning but Ella off. Very excitable today, lots of crying for Ella, wanting to go out in the garden at the slightest sound etc Only managed a 5 minute afternoon walk before he wanted to come back.
18. 23rd – (day 5) Both off lead on their walk this morning. Fine as long as Ella didn't initiate chase as it was too exciting. So each time she did I just recalled her and then put Ted on lead. Still very keen to get to her in the house so completely segregated once back. Still only wanted a very short afternoon walk (10 mins) then wanted to come back. Much more settled this evening.
19. 24th – (day 6) Fine off lead this morning and going out in the garden for a pre walk wee. Can't be together in the house if Ted isn't totally occupied with something though.
20. 25th – (day 7) Fine again off lead. Now fine together in the garden for wee breaks. Still can't be together in the house although it was fine with Ella on one of our laps whilst watching TV.
21. 26th – (day 8 ) As day 20.
22. 27th – (day 9) Both out in lounge, am crating Ella when I am out of the room for a time but otherwise back to normal.
Last edited by ClareMarsh on Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Good diary, Clare - you will find that a helpful reference for the future, as will anyone who reads this to learn more about the realities of ladydogs on heat.

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Brilliant info Clare. :mrgreen: MiMi's now 10 months and we're still season free. Not sure when to expect any action so not really thinking about it