Searching for safe bully stick alternatives...

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Searching for safe bully stick alternatives...

Post by Suzette »

I just found out my dog Piper has an allergic skin reaction to beef products. This means no more of her much loved bully sticks. :(
Any other treats you guys would recommend that aren't in the bovine family and would be safe for her to have some quality chewing/gnawing time with? (She is a twenty pound corgi.)

Thanks in advance! :)
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
JudyN

Re: Searching for safe bully stick alternatives...

Post by JudyN »

Sorry... we avoid long-lasting chews because of Jasper's guarding habit! Do flavourd nylon chews appeal to her? Or antlers... though I'm not sure if they can harm teeth...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Hi Judy. Thanks, but nope, she won't go near the nylon chews (and I'm not a huge fan of them myself) and she will gnaw on an antler half-heartedly for about two minutes then ignore it.

I buy from Best Bully Sticks and see that they have lamb trachea's that might be a good choice for her. Anyone have experience or knowledge of this product they would care to share? Or any other suggestions are welcome too! :)
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Baby Miles likes tracheas, but with his crocodile teeth they don’t last like very long... but we have not not noticed any unwelcome side effects.

Unfortunately, nothing really lasts a long time with him except antlers, but like Piper he gets quickly bored with them.
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lamb trachea from the butcher (as opposed to pet shop which may have been imported from dubious sources) always did well for mine. Some dogs like pig ears and tails from the same source. They don't last all that long, but give good chewing. Corgis have very strong jaws so I doubt there is much that is safe that will occupy those for more than one session.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Thanks everyone for the input! I think I might give the tracheas a try and I have been wondering if pig's ears were a good option (health and safety-wise). Since they seem to be, I might give those a go also.