Corns

Discussion dedicated to promoting the well-being of your dog through diet, exercise and general health tips.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: Corns

Post by Shalista » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:31 pm

i dont know anything about corns or pads but i would say its more of a muscle issue then a joint. joints tend to just get worse with exercises, muscle can warm up
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13

JudyN

Post by JudyN » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:36 am

Thanks Shalista :D

Last night in my Running Dog Maintenance book I read that I could use Padnasol cream, but it doesn't seem to exist any more. I'd love to find a cream that would toughen and repair the worn pad rather than soften it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:57 am

There's a Padnasol lookalike that mushers use. I'm sorry I can't remember the name (not had my coffee yet!) but I'm sure Google would find it. Or try a UK mushers website.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS

JudyN

Post by JudyN » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:15 am

Could it be Musher's Secret, Nettle? I was worried that it might soften the pad and make it wear more, but I've seen some people saying it will help toughen it up.

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:16 am

That sounds like the name. I have no direct experience, but logic suggests that a supple pad would have more resilience than a stiff one. What think you?

JudyN

Post by JudyN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:48 am

Nettle wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:16 am
That sounds like the name. I have no direct experience, but logic suggests that a supple pad would have more resilience than a stiff one. What think you?
I'm now trying slathering both worn pad and corn with MS before and after each walk, and at bedtime. As he seemed so sore, I'm thinking he needs a bit of a break and a chance to heal rather than toughen, so my plan is to walk him on soft ground where he's not so uncomfortable in the morning (there's a recreation ground near here which is all fields so potentially a bit boring for him, but still had novelty value this morning), then a bit of pavement walking to the park in the afternoon. If/when he seems more comfortable on pavement, I shall lengthen the dry pavement walking, maybe cutting back on the Musher's Secret to increase the toughening effect of the pavement. I'll try to avoid rough paths/sandy areas but there will be times when he needs a change of scenery - he's not the sort of dog who is happy to go to the same place day in day out.

I've also got some padded corn plasters (no medication, just a circle with a hole) which I can try putting on at the start of the walk so he'll be distracted, to see if they seem to relieve the pain. If they do, it'll be a clear indication that it's the corn that's causing the pain.

Does that sound like a plan? I feel at the moment the vet can advise on the theory, but putting it into practice (e.g. finding the point at which pavement walking tips from toughening pads to wearing them further) will be a different matter as so much will depend on his feet, his exercise requirements, the relative contributions of worn pad & corn (& possibly something muscular), the areas we can walk.....

Nettle

Post by Nettle » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:06 am

I think it's worth a try, and as you know Jas so well, you'll be on your toes ready for Plan B (C, D, E) if needed. With him, a bit of lameness is not as bad as being bored with his walks. But ideally, you don't want either.