Need new tools for my walk.

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CapellaM44

Need new tools for my walk.

Post by CapellaM44 »

Hi all. I have a 100 lb border collie/blue healer mix. He could be part husky as well the way he pulls. We rescued him as a puppy about 6 years ago and he's a great dog. The only problem is his pulling. For a while I was able to keep him from dragging me all over the neighborhood. I'd use commands like sit, stay, wait, watch me, and heel. Most of the time he is a great dog, as long as there are no other animals around. I now have a 1 year old son that I would like to join us on walks. I cannot walk the dog and my son at the same time. If the dog lunges and I don't have both hands on the leash he'll pull away, or pull me over (which he's done on more than once) I've tried everything from doggie treats to warm hot dogs. Nothing will keep his attention around another dog.

He is not vicious, simply playful. He is socialized and works well with other dogs. He just wants to go play.

I have heard that a halti may be the only thing that keeps him from pulling. The gentle leader doesn't work any more because he has learned how to turn his head and unbuckle it. While visiting pet smart the ladies there said a halti may not work because he is just too strong. What can you recommend to help me get the dog under control so I can enjoy my walks instead of dreading every stray we come across? How can I set him up for success during training? I can work with my neighbor and his dogs I just don't know what to do now.
Mattie

Re: Need new tools for my walk.

Post by Mattie »

Nothing you put on your dog will stop him pulling, only training will do that, if you go to viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858 it will tell you how to train him not to pull.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Chance1214

Post by Chance1214 »

Something that really helped my Wheaten terrier, i know he isnt as big as your dog is only about 32 lbs, the runt of the litter! but it was actually one of Victorias tips on her show, when you walk with him, and this does make he walks longer trust me but it did end up being completely worth it!! every time he pulls you stop and when it turns and looks at you to see why you stop you start walking again... puts you back in charge and not him. my Chance still pulls sometimes when he gets excited but hes alway aware of me and its very rare its a process and again makes the walks probably double time and well i don tknow about where you are but in the freezing weather here you just want to get back in doors but its well worth it in the end because trust me my pooch may be only 32 lbs but those jerks were truly making my arm and shoulder sore at night!! i hope the tip helps!!
good luck! :D
CapellaM44

Post by CapellaM44 »

I've been sick so I am sorry I didn't get to reply sooner.

I will check out the web site and take the tips to hart. You see, pulling isn't the real issue. He is fine unless there's another dog. Stopping and getting him to sit and "watch me" is not happening especially if the other dog is off leash or a stray. Turning and walking in the other direction doesn't work either especially if we are being followed by the stray.

I guess what I need to do is train the dog to ignore other animals. Is there an easy way to do that?
nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

CapellaM44 wrote:I guess what I need to do is train the dog to ignore other animals. Is there an easy way to do that?
It's a gradual process. I think... To start with, I'd try to avoid other animals. Then with one other animal (preferably one that will ignore you), practice walking by and asking the dog for your attention on you, or not getting overly excited. If he starts to resort back to old behavior, turn and walk away with him (before he fully reacts, so noting body language is probably a must) to put distance between you and the animal he's about to react to. Repeat this process of walking at a distance from another animal, and then gradually shorten that distance. Minimizing his current reactions, and rewarding the wanted ones should help him learn the wanted behavior.

Basically it's usually about setting up your dog for success... this is probably what makes it "not easy". Some does will pick it up really quickly though! (Others, not so much lol)

Good luck... Also 100lbs!? Holy cow that's a big border collie/heeler! I can hardly imagine 100lb boarder collie/heeler.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
CapellaM44

Post by CapellaM44 »

Thanks. I've started this with my neighbors dog. So far I can't make it past them without Bullet reacting. We only work about 10 minutes a day, don't want to over do it, and when I get frusterated that is when it's time to stop. He's getting better though, we can actually walk right up to them now as opposed to being 10 feet away. I can see this is going to take a lot of work. Maybe it would help if it wasn't a dog he normally played with.

My goal is to be able to go places this summer with him. Up to the lake, around the park, and other places where a dog may pop up. Thanks.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Do a search for reactive dogs on here, there is a lot, they may help you with your dog, read them then ask as many questions as you want.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]