petsafe products

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

campocaro1

petsafe products

Post by campocaro1 »

A neighbour of mine is using two Petsafe products on his dog-spray anti barking collar and a 'fence' around their grounds. It looks too good to be true- no barking and dog stays put! Is there any research or experiences that people on this forum can give about the safety of these and any short long term effects on the dog's well being?
emmabeth

Re: petsafe products

Post by emmabeth »

I assume the fence is an electric system that shocks the dog should it approach the fence, or sprays the dog.... via a neck collar?

These are not good, not safe and not at all nice to use on dogs - theres a high risk of the dog associating the aversive that ocurs when it approaches the fence with something other than just the fence, for instance something the dog sees as he is approaching the fence (or maybe the reason he is approaching the fence). For example, dogs have become aggressive, or more aggressive, towards passers by or legitimate visitors to a property because they associate the shock (or the warning beep that signals a shock may come soon) wtih the presence of a stranger and so their aggression towards strangers increases. Some dogs will go on to break the boundary line in order to bite the person approaching.

That is just one example, there are many i could give. One that featured on IMOTD was a boxer who was SO terrified of the fence system he would not get off the peopels back deck.

Spray collars for barking are not good either, they can be triggered by other noises such as door slamming, shouting, a nother dog barking. Dogs can and do learn to bark until the spray unit is empty. The scent if a citronella spray is used lingers on way beyond the behaviour ceaseing and also punishes the dogsa round it as well as the wearer of the collar which is highly unfair and deeply unpleasant for dogs with their far superior sense of smell.

We do not advise or support the use of aversives like this at all on these forums.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
campocaro1

Re: petsafe products

Post by campocaro1 »

Thanks, that's what I thought but I was interested to hear from people with experience of these products.