Any luck with calming aids

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

runlip

Any luck with calming aids

Post by runlip »

Has anybody tried calming aids such as Rescue Remedy,DAP or Ultra-Calm tablets. I just got a Drs. Foster and Smith catalog and was thinking of ordering them. My dog is not comfortable when people he is unfamiliar with come to the house. I am determined to make this a year where my kids and I can have friends over and I can manage the dog with out becoming a nervous wreck myself (maybe I need the calming aids). I just want to have a normal household again.
Nettle

Re: Any luck with calming aids

Post by Nettle »

Calming aids are brilliant IME but need to be used along with a retraining programme. If you'd like to give us a lovely detailed post in the forum for training queries, we can help with that. :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Not had much experience with calming aids, altho tried to DAP diffuser when I first got Dylan as a rescue, but it made no difference. In fact he seemed to get MORE anxious, but I am sure that wa sjust a coincidence and was him getting used to his new home.

Not sure it will work with a dog that is unhappy with people coming to the house....Dylan fits into this category! It is def a case of managing it and making sure they dont get into situations they are stressed with, and I have now worked out what works for Dylan....have a look at my posts to get an idea.
Bo's mum

Post by Bo's mum »

I've used DAP diffusers, sprays and collars on various dogs and had success in some cases and no change in others. I would say its worth a try - the collars are the best and most effective, but if in the case of a multi dog household every dog would need to wear a collar, otherwise i would advise a diffuser. The sprays are good for making the dog comfortable in a small environment eg the car but are short lasting and must be left to settle before introducing the dog to the environment. As for the Rescue Remedy i love it for the dogs aswel as myself! :D
Jack Monzon

Post by Jack Monzon »

The DAP didn't work from me. Like the other poster, it seemed to agitate my dog more than anything else. He'd bark at it once in a while, and he's not really a barker.

I've tried Rescue Remedy and didn't notice anything, but I've heard you need to use it consistently for a while. Who knows.