Barking in crate after waking.

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Spikey29

Barking in crate after waking.

Post by Spikey29 »

Hi I would really appreciate some help. I have a 14 week old basset hound who likes sleeping in his crte we went through the sleepless nights of barking when he was left in the kitchen. We then got a crate and did the training so he knows it is his safe place. tHe first few nights were told to leave one end with a training pad if he needed it but he refuses to go wish I feel is good.
THe problem is he does tend to sleep through from 11pm to 5am then starts to bark. I ignore him til he is quiet and then take him outside to the toilet. He goes back in his crate and I go back up to bed. From then he starts barking and I don't think the neighbours will put up with it long. I have put a kong in that kept him busy for 20 mins then he starts barking again.
I don't know what to do as I only want him to stay in there quietly for a couple more hours and not disturb the baby.
Please if anyone has any ideas as he doesn t seem to be getting it. Thanks
maximoo

Re: Barking in crate after waking.

Post by maximoo »

Well congratulations on baby & new puppy. :D That is quite an undertaking.

Ok so first off your pup is doing really well. The rule of thumb for bladder control is to add 1 to his age so at age 4 mths +1 it would be normal to expect him to hold it for 5 hrs. He's not quite 4 mths old so again he is doing very well.
Secondly, you are expecting WAY too much from such a young pup. You wouldn't expect your baby to be potty trained under age 2 would you?
What you are doing Is teaching pup to bark/whine & are getting him stressed. SImply set your alarm before the time you expect him to bark--maybe 4:30/4:45 Whisk him out to pee, (very little talking just good boy, good pee and give tasty treat) have a prepared KONG, give to him, back in crate & you go back to sleep. This is just for now. Pups bladder will be maturing monthly so by the time he is 6 mths old he should make it through the entire night. In a cpl of weeks you can move alarm up to 5am, a few weeks after 5:15, etc.if he barks earlier set alarm back 15 mts & try to move it up after another week or so.
An ounce pf prevention is worth a lb of cure, and this will soon all be a distant memory.
GOOD LUCK!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Brilliant advice there :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Spikey29

Post by Spikey29 »

hi thanks for that. i think he is doing really well sleepingb thfrough that long. i tried the kong and that kept him quiet for 20 mins. i take him out to the loo its just after that when he barks is the probem. the last couple of nights once he has started to bark i have made a noise to snap him out of it and he lays back down he has been a little better but i dont want him thinking everytime he barks he will get that this is the only thing we are finding difficult any more suggestions would be helpful thanks all.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

After he has had his potty break - remember he is a puppy, and lonely. The kong is a great idea, and I'd suggest turning the radio or TV on for him, so he feels as if he has company.

Remember he has never been alone before. Some humans couldn't deal with it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS