WHAT HARNESS WAS IT?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chesterbester

WHAT HARNESS WAS IT?

Post by chesterbester »

HELLO I AM IN AUSTRALIA AND I WATCHED AN EPISODE A FEW WEEKS BACK WHICH SHOWED A MODEL FROM THE UK WHO HAD ABOUT 4 CHIHUAHUAS.

IN THIS SHOW VICTORIA USED A HARNESS ON THEM WHICH LOOKED VERY EASY TO PUT ON AND JUST ADJUSTED WITH A SLIDE TYPE CLIP. I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE FOR THESE HARNESS.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THEY MAY HAVE BEEN?

THEY ARE NOT PUPPIA RANGE IT DIDNT HAVE A CLIP IT WAS A SLIDING TYPE ADJUSTMENT AND I THINK THE LEAD AND HARNESS WERE ONE PIECE. I HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME ! :lol:
chesterbester

Post by chesterbester »

GOSH I REALLY THOUGHT I WOULD BE ABLE TO FIND OUT WHAT HARNESS IR WAS ON THIS WEB SITE, CANT THE MODERATORS FIND OUT FOR ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEE
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sorry, I dont know what harness it was, unfortunately that episode aired here in the UK quite some time back and I cant remember even what it looked like.

Im sure when Victoria sees your question I'm sure she will answer if she can remember what brand it was.

Meantime, there are lots of harnesses available, one make I do know fastens with a plastic clip and adjusts with a slider is the Lupine brand, which come in a range of nice colours and is good quality.

Failing that, try googling 'chihuahua harness' and see what the internet brings.

Hope that helps,

Em

PS, theres only the one mod here, me, and I don't really appreciate being shouted at, please dont post in capitals like that as it is internet speak for 'shouting' and is also very hard to read.
chesterbester

Re: WHAT HARNESS WAS IT?

Post by chesterbester »

Hows this Better? Thanks for trying to answer my question and reminding me about my caps on writing.
BubblySelkie

Padded harness

Post by BubblySelkie »

I was looking around some sites and stumbled on one that kind of looks like it, with a sliding clip. I used to have the episode "model with 6 dogs, 4 of them chis, on Digital Video Recorder, but unfortunately the stupid "if there is an emergency you will hear this stupid beeping noise" alert interrupted and I erased it and am waiting for it air again so I can record it again. Then I can zoom in (because it does have a name on it) and see the name of the harness.

Anyway, there is a padded, mesh type, seems to have an adjustable clip, called the "Freedom harness". I don't know if you can find it in Australia but there must be some website that has it in AU. In my search I found www.inthecompanyofdogs.com. Doesn't look exactly like it, and I can't use it because it isn't small enough for my runt chihuahua, she is only 4 pounds on a good day, lol.
My love to Jamie and Caitlin, I miss you both so much.

Proud member of SFS, knitting comfort one stitch at a time.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I can't comment to the harness used

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

but with 3 blind dogs (2 of whom are deaf as well) a harness is a must. A blindpup does not know the end of the lead and on collar, snap.

With my deafblinds, a trainer recommended the gentle leader harness, much like the gentle leader head harness that Victoria uses with so much success, except this is a body harness. The D-ring is at chest level. I have two deafblinds, one 'only' blind and 2 handicapped lab mixes. The gentle leader harness (with the D-ring at chest level) allows two deafblinds to walk on perfect lead and I can't tell you why. One is a spinner, the other so easily distracted and the spinner will flat attack the other unprovoked. But with them both on gentle leader harness, on a coupler, they walk on perfect lead.

Even an oversized ill-behaved rottie has walked on perfect lead on the gentle leader harness with the D-ring at chest level.

However, the gentle leader head harness has a great deal of success as well. I would only caution double leashing to the neck collar, because my lab mix and my only blind have both gotten out of the head harness.

To avoid this panicky response, but the head harness on in your home, treating when it is put on without response. You absolutely CAN train your dog to walk on the head only gentle leader. Unfortunately with my pack, I have my hands full of 5 handicapped pups, and simply don't have the time to desensitize to the head harness. I am an advocate, however, watching Victoria working with the boxer who could not be walked. Amazing.

Double harness and never have fear.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ Mom
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
ChicoChi

Post by ChicoChi »

Wow...i'm really watching reruns...I just saw the episode a few days ago. We got our Chi back on Easter Sunday and saw this episode and have been searching the net for this type of harness with little luck.

I was wondering if someone has found a site that carries them yet?

We are new dog owners, having never owned a Chi and have not owned a dog in over 10 years. We have always owned larger outside type dogs in the past so this is all new ground for us.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx,
Ken (Chicos Dad)
BubblySelkie

Congrats on your wonderful chi

Post by BubblySelkie »

Congrats on getting your chi. How old is Chico? I have loved the breed all my life. They are puppies that never grow up.

I think the only advice I would give on any chi is to socialize it as much as possible, otherwise they become very attached to one person or family and guests in your home may get a very guarded greeting.

And don't let them eat chocolate, xylitol (in sugarless chewing gum), raisins or mushrooms. I know that's not a complete list but they are some of the most common and seem harmless enough (not the gum, but...).

There must be a complete list online, (maybe there is a list on the forum, I haven't looked) that you could get. Since they are smaller than your past dogs the affect of a even a small amount is amplified.

We have 3 chi pups, actually one is 4yo, and the others are brother and sister, 2yo. But, since they are little, ranging from 4 to 10 pounds , we still call them puppies.

We have a dog car seat in the back of the car and a stroller for the dogs when we want to go somewhere where the sidewalks aren't all that clean. The harness that you are looking for is the same one that I am looking for. I don't like the idea of a skinny harness on the dogs. In an accident it would probably break some bones, even if the car seat keeps them from roaming around and lets them see out the window.

One more bonus with chi pups, and I know this from my mom's Chesapeake Bay Retriever. They don't stand high enough to clear the coffee table with their tails, lol.

I have babbled enough, can you tell I love my pups, lol. They are my babies now that the children are gone.

We are new dog owners, having never owned a Chi and have not owned a dog in over 10 years. We have always owned larger outside type dogs in the past so this is all new ground for us.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx,
Ken (Chicos Dad)[/quote]
My love to Jamie and Caitlin, I miss you both so much.

Proud member of SFS, knitting comfort one stitch at a time.
ChicoChi

Post by ChicoChi »

We got Chico on Easter Sunday and he was 2 days short of 6 weeks old, so without breaking out the calendar, I think he is about 5 months old.

We are very concerned about his sociability and have made sure he has a lot of contact with as many people as possible. We are careful during the first visit of someone new, but after about 5 minutes he is used to a new person and begins initiating contact on his own.

We don't usually give him anything but doggy treats and rarely even give him any human food. Bones are usually of the doggy treat style although we have tried some but think we'll stop it.

We did buy him as a lap dog and also so that we could travel with him but never thought about a doggy seat. But he rarely goes with us locally. He has been on 2 long trips with us. One on the day we got him. 100 miles and then when we moved back to our home from Texas, about 1600 miles. Never had a single problem with him. He never got car sick or anything. He was so tiny that we made up a bed at my wifes feet and he rode down there most of the way, except when riding in the wifes lap.

He was basically paper trained so we put him in a container with paper frequently and he did his business and we just kept rolling. He's been great so far. Just a few "puppy bumps"...but that's to be exoected.

Well, I'll keep waiting to see if anyone can come up with an answer. Maybe someone knows how to contact Victoria or those people on the show and find out where they found those harnesses.

Take care.
Ken