sensation harness?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

glittergirl1970

sensation harness?

Post by glittergirl1970 »

does anyone here use the sensation harness?

gilly (our 1 year old pit bull) is a great dog, but we've had trouble getting her trained to walk on the leash.

she hated the gentle lead, even after 6 months of conditioning. most other harnesses made her pull even harder.

the easy walk harness has a martingale in the front and it never worked.

we finally broke down and ordered the sensation harness, and it's been amazing! it clips in the front, but no martingale or anything to pinch. it just works to gently guide her.

we've been working on loose leash walking since we got her, using treats and the methods described here and on the show, but gilly was such a "mega puller" that nothing seemed to help.

until now. just wondering if the sensation harness has ever been featured on the show on mentioned on the board.
Horace's Mum

Re: sensation harness?

Post by Horace's Mum »

It is the same as a halti harness, which I have used in the past until i passed mine on to a friend for her pup! I like them, simple design, personally think they are much more dog friendly than usual no-pull harness because they don't tighten up, they just turn the body round. Just one point, make sure you always have a lead onto her normal collar as well, it is very easy to slip these harnesses in certain situation!!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Maybe a little off topic, but you can try this method on loose lead walking - it's great:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Oh...I wish I had one of those instead of the easywalk, because the easywalk tightens so even though Murphy walked great, if he lunged at a cat or a squirrel I'm sure it was uncomfortable.

This is possibly the kind of harness Victoria used on Mr. Black - I thought it was the easywalk but it may have been this one.
glittergirl1970

Post by glittergirl1970 »

yes, the easy walk was terrible. the martingale piece in the front just defeats the purpose. the sensation harness is such an improvement and the only thing that has worked.

gilly was such a "mega puller" that loose leash walking techniques weren't working. she could care less about treats when she's outside. i stopped walking when she pulled every time, and as soon as we started up again she'd be pulling. 2 different trainers tried to help us as well.

we just needed the right tool. i'm really enjoying our walks and being able to make so much progress.

oh, i also attached a leash to her regular buckle collar, just to be safe. i use one of those leashes for walking 2 dogs and it works like a charm. i just make sure that all the tension is on the leash attached to the harness.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

glittergirl1970 wrote:y
gilly was such a "mega puller" that loose leash walking techniques weren't working. she could care less about treats when she's outside. i stopped walking when she pulled every time, and as soon as we started up again she'd be pulling. 2 different trainers tried to help us as well.
Did you try the this loose lead walking? viewtopic.php?f=20&t=858

You don't use treats for this, some may at the end but not while teaching the dog, I prefer to give them a short game at the end that treats, find it is better for the dog after trying to concentrate. You can't stop a dog from pulling if you are letting them pull which from your post may have been happening. Your dog shouldn't get into a position were she pulls, all that does is teach her it is ok to pull. Many on here have tried other methods that didn't work, this did.
we just needed the right tool. i'm really enjoying our walks and being able to make so much progress.
No harness or other gadget will teach a dog not to pull, all they do is give you more control which is happening with this harness, if you take your dog off it she will pull again, training means your dog stops pulling no matter what is on her.
oh, i also attached a leash to her regular buckle collar, just to be safe. i use one of those leashes for walking 2 dogs and it works like a charm. i just make sure that all the tension is on the leash attached to the harness.
It is always a good idea to have 2 leads with any gadget, well done for doing this. Why not use this method for walking your dog and also give her several short training sessions our way. It will take time but eventually you won't need gadgets to walk her.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]