What are mikki training discs used for?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

KB

What are mikki training discs used for?

Post by KB »

I was googling a type of clicker and came across a UK dog training supply site - and I saw Mikki Training Discs. We do not have them in the US and I have never seen them before. Are they for targeting or something else (have not found a great description of what they are for).

KB
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Erm. No.

They are an extremely powerful aversive that works sort of like the reverse of the clicker.

Where the clicker signals 'thats right' the discs are used to signal 'that wont work' and where youd pair the click with recieving a treat, you pair the discs with removing one..

They sound 'nice' and I have used them from time to time, but i really cannot stress strongly enough that they have a SERIOUSLY profound effect on teh dogs they are used on, the feeling of 'disappointment' the dog gets when he hears the 'this wont work' signal is enormous.

I would expect it is like that heartbreaking feeling you get as a small child when you are worked up and excited about a gift or an event and then you are suddenly and totally let down. Very powerful emotion.

As i say, i HAVE used these but i wouldnt recommend anyone to use them via the net, ive used them in seriously dire situations - once when I had a dog who would chase swans, chase them right into the water and not give up when they tried to kill him... i used the discs to tell him 'this wont be rewarding' and the second they had their effect distracted him to something that would be rewarding.
For this dog, and this situation they worked well, but the timing involved was crucial as was the subsequent alternative behaviour.

As with all aversives, the chances of them being associated with something other than the behaviour you intended is pretty great, and the hances of seriously upsetting or mentally harming a dog is quite high as well.

Definately, not a tool to be taken lightly or used by just anyone.
KB

Interesting

Post by KB »

Interesting concept, I see how it can be used incorrectly.

And I thought it was going to be something fun for targeting - oh well :)

KB