Car Harness/Seatbelt

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jennyplain

Car Harness/Seatbelt

Post by jennyplain »

Hi all,

I'm soliciting recommendations for a good brand of car harness to use with my pup when she's fully grown. Currently we're using a small one, but she'll eventually be around 30 pounds and I want to get a good quality one for when she's big. I figured you all might be able to give me a recommendation of something you've used. I'd like her to have some range of movement, of course, but be protected in the backseat of my car.
***Melissa***

Re: Car Harness/Seatbelt

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi,

I'm sorry, I can't recommend good harnesses or seatbelts - I think most people on here crate their dogs when travelling.

Maybe someone else will be of more help than I :wink:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
jennyplain

Post by jennyplain »

I wish my car was big enough for a crate! Unfortunately, I drive a little Yaris, and there's not much room for anything besides pup in the backseat. http://www.amazon.com/Solvit-62295-Vehi ... 683&sr=8-4 That one seems to get pretty good reviews - I was thinking about going for it.
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

It seems fine to me :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mercurykitty

Post by Mercurykitty »

My car is also too small for a crate. I use a Four Paws Safety Seat Support Harness (http://www.petmountain.com/product/dog- ... rness.html). Rose gets very excited when she sees me get it out of the cabinet. She knows it means "car ride!!".
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Not really answering your question, but do you use your backseat for anything else, or just the dog? If it is just the dog, you can get fabulous tunnel rates that sit all along the back and fix to either end (I think onto the handles on the ceiling) which might work well for you. I friend of mine has five dogs in a skoda felicia estate, and the boot is all for the shepherd, so she has two of these tunnels inside for the slightly smaller dogs.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Some seatbelts are crash tested (or the components are crash tested) others are not. Things to watch out for are plastic buckles. The seatbelt harnesses I use for my dogs came from the pet store. They are about 4 years old and not the newest technology available. For the most part they have metal components. The exception being the main buckle, but the design kind of backs up the buckle should it fail. The seat belt threads through a loop in the harness. Dogs are supposed to be able to sit or stand, or lie down in comfort.

One of my dogs just twists herself up in it, sometimes to include a leg, other times she just makes it a major challenge to get all of the tangles undone to get her out of the car. Then both dogs figured out that with the harness nice and well secured by the seatbelt, they could just back out of it. I now operate on a compromise between the proper function of the seatbelt harness and keeping the dogs in the harness and at least somewhat contained. Crates don't work in my vehicle either, mainly due to too much room rather than not enough, plus I have heard that dogs just fly through the wire or plastic in an impact anyway and that seatbelts provide greater safety.

I keep looking at the new designs as they come out hoping to find something that is backout proof and twist/tangle proof. Another problem I have with some of the newer seatbelt harnesses is that they attach to the child seat rail that is in the seats of new cars. Somethng that didn't exist when my vehicles were manufactured.

Do lots of reasearch, look at lots of pictures and reviews and keep in mind there aren't any safety standards for dog seatbelt harnesses. Sorry I can't recommend a specific harness.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
CynAmun

Post by CynAmun »

I use Bergan harnesses. http://www.berganexperience.com/travelharness/index.htm They are crash tested and come with a tether that has carabiners at both ends. One end goes on the car seat thingy and the other end goes on the harness. Our old harnesses attached to the seat belts and the dogs got tangled and didn't feel like they could stand up. The tether is much better.

Just like children, dogs should never ride in the passenger seat with an airbag.

Also check out Paws to Click http://pawstoclick.com/ and Bark Buckle Up http://www.barkbuckleup.com/.
hludwig

Post by hludwig »

I have a fabulous seatbelt that I use for my Golden Retriever that I have used since he outgrew the crate I had that fit into my sedan. It is the Champion K9 seatbelt. He can stand, turn, sit and he never gets tangled. You can order it at: www.usak9outfitters.com. It is great and easy to put on!
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I ordered 2 champ K-9 harnesses about a year and a half ago. They were back ordered at the time. About 2 months later I contacted the company and they seemed to be having manufacturing problems but assured me the harnesses would be sent as soon as possible. I have never received the harnesses.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.