Click to Calm Book?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Click to Calm Book?

Post by ladybug1802 »

Does anyone have this book? I really want to get hold of a copy but cant afford to spend nearly £20 on it at the moment! Any ideas where I can find it cheaper??
ankoi

Re: Click to Calm Book?

Post by ankoi »

Check Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Click-Calm-Heal ... 101&sr=8-1 and The Book Depository: http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781 ... ck-to-Calm The latter is my personal favorite as it provides free shipping!

You may also be interested in Patricia McConnell's booklet The Cautious Canine, it's fairly cheap and it's for fearful dogs :)

If you buy the book, I'd like to know if it's any use for fearful dogs like Dylan and Tami! (as they seem to share a bunch of problems...)
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah thats fab - thank you! I have ordered the Click to Calm book from the Book Depository - have never heard of that before so thank you for the suggestion! It is a lot cheaper there than elsewhere PLUS free postage!

I will let you know what it is like. I figured it might be good for Dylan as he seems to love clicker training, and he isnt openly fearful of a lot of things (like he doesnt mind fireworks, lorries, traffic, loud noises etc), just he is rather insecure with people sometimes...and he seems to have definitely been a bit calmer of late with me and my parents being calmer ourselves....so fingers crossed!

I will keep you updated - and thank you again!
Helen2009

Post by Helen2009 »

Click to Calm by Emma Parsons is a fantastic book in my opinion. I refer to it again and again. Its such a great read and is written so honestly by the author (who admits to having made mistakes when trying to rehabilitate her reactive dog Ben). She turned it around though with a clicker and the book is written in such an easy format. She gives lessons to work through, describes what they are appropriate for and offers step by step guidance on how to achieve the desired result.

One thing I loved about Emma's book is the way in which she describes her own behaviour towards her reactive dog. She admitted that she tightened up on the leash and sucked in her breath when she saw another dog approaching, fearing an explosion from Ben when they passed. She turned this around by conditioning Ben to think that a tightening leash meant something good was going to happen, she would click and treat and now she says whenever she feels a bit fretful, the dog now thinks (through effective clicker training) that something good not bad was about to happen (she gives step by step instructions on how she achieved this in the book).

Along with Scaredy Dog by Ali Brown, which is a must for any owner of a reactive dog, I have found this one of the best books for people wanting to clicker train their reactive dogs. Fantastic, cannot recommend highly enough.
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

I have this book too - had it for a while whilst the male was going through issues with other males (now all sorted thankfully).It's a good book. The only negative I remembering reading in this book was that she says dogs who are person aggression have a disease - I quote " a disease as chronic as diabetes or high blood pressure". I think that is very harsh and very scary and very demotivational. She goes onto say that the dog can never be cured. BUT she doesn't say the same about dog to dog aggression. Why?

It's a great book - shame something so negative sticks in your mind.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Is this the Click to Calm book Runlikethewind, or Scaredy Dog??
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

That would be the "Click to Calm" book.

I am certaintly no expert as I have only owned dogs for the past 4 years, but I had some issues with the beginning of the "Click to Calm" prescription. It seemed a bit too much like the "old scool" ways of thinking that I was, at the time I read the book, learning to steer away from. Kind of like "old school" adopts the clicker. I did like the tips towards the end of the book for putting "calming signals" on command.

My dog tends to be more human and sound reactive than dog reactive (as long as the dog is in a yard she is fine with them. She just seems to think they don't belong out of a yard. :lol: ) So, I was also kind of dissapointed that the book didn't really address calming a dog with my dog's particular issues.

I'm reading Scaredy Dog now.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Yes I agree....I have only read part of Click to Calm, and while I thought it has been good so far, my dog is also more human reactive and not dog reactive, and the book did seem geared more to dog recactive dogs.

How ar you finding Scaredy Dog? I was thinking of getting that?
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Scardey Dog seems very thorough, covering dogs with low level issues as well as what to do if your dog has a higher level of issues. Best of all, it recognizes and speaks to a variety of issues not just one aspect of dog reactivity. I am about half way through it and plan on passing it along to my son, my husband, and a coworker (who also has a reactive dog) when I finish reading it.

I am hoping to get full family cooperation in implementing the ideas and processes contained in this book and see if we can finally make some progress with helping her deal with her issues.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.