Fear of Clicker

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Buddy'smyboy

Fear of Clicker

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

This has been bugging me for a while so I finally decided to ask and see what people think about it.
My cousin Jill has a rescued Pomeranian named Molly. Jill doesn't know much about her history, but a while back she tried using clicker training with Molly, but every time Molly heard the clicker she'd run away. My two theories as to why are 1.) her previous owner(s) tried clicker training, and when they didn't get the results they wanted immediately they resorted to being physical, instilling association of bad things with the sound or 2.) the sound hurts her ears or startles her.

Since then Jill has trained with praise instead, but the mystery "why" behind running from the click has been buzzing around my head. What I know about Molly is;
She's like a big fluffy growth on Jill's leg. Where ever Jill goes, Molly goes. No recall trouble here. She knows sit, lay down, stay, come, and crawl (maybe one or two others). Molly barks a lot. You walk across the room, she'll jump up and start barking. You walk in the door, she'll start barking (even if you happen to LIVE with her). Jill's word to get her to stop barking is "enough", which is usually effective. However, since the barking is not what's bugging me I'll stop talking about it. Molly doesn't like getting wet, and the water is about the only location where she won't follow Jill :lol: . Jill has her crate trained, and bed trained. If you try to pet her over her head she'll shy away, but you could rub her belly for an etirnity.

I have no idea if that will help detirmine why she doesn't like the clicker, but if it does, score. It's just that this has been driving me crazy ever since we visited Jill a few weeks ago and she was talking about it.
Po'ele

Re: Fear of Clicker

Post by Po'ele »

My dog (who has never been abused in the slightest way, ever) acts like the clicker startles him or hurts his ears. When I first introduced the clicker with lots of treats, he got over it. However a week went by without clicker training and he was once again flinching at the sound. He does much better with a verbal "YES!" to mark his good behavior. Just my experience, I'm no expert.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

A clicker isn't essential to train a dog, the principles of the training do matter, you can use other things instead of a clicker, a pen that clicks, the top of a baby food jar, a word used only for this, anything can be used as long as it is only used for that. Clickers can be very useful for teaching dogs, the dogs will often start to offer behaviours and will use their brains to try and work out what we want of them, if you use something that is used at other times, this doesn't happen so even a word must never be used at any other time.

Most dogs don't like a hand going over their heads to pat them, to a dog this can be aggression used by another dog so don't do it, touch a dog anywhere else but keep clear of the top of their head. Yes dogs do learn to accept this but very few ever feel comfortable with it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

This sounds like a sensitive and anxious little dog, and a part of that may well link back to some past abuse which may have included startling or frightening sounds such as rattle or clicking devices designed to punish a dog for doing something unwanted.

You can use a whole variety of things in place of a conventional clicker though - i do prefer something that produces a very distinctive, fast, repeatable sound that is pretty unique, which a voice is not, although that works for some people.

Pens, jar lids, there are even clickers with a volume control on them, some people use little electronic keyrings that make a specific noise - just use your imagination and pick a repeatable sound that is not heard all the time.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Like Emmabeth says....I have some of the Company of Animals Multi-Clickers which have a volume control on so you can change the 'loudness' of the click, specifically for sound sensitive dogs.

Are you in the UK? If so I have some in stock that I am selling - so if you would like one let me know and I will do you a godod price! If you are in the USA - probably not much point as postage will be more than the clicker probably! :D
Buddy'smyboy

Post by Buddy'smyboy »

I'm in USA, not UK but thanks regardless :wink:

I was just simply curious with how other people had dogs react to the clicker. I do have a clicker that has different volumes, not that I need to change the volume with Buddy. Next time I see Jill I'll ask her if she's used that kind before. Although, I think she's done pretty good with Molly. She's a lot better than she used to be about people reaching over her head. When Jill first got her she'd growl if you did that but now if you specifically pet her behind the ears and the neck she doesn't mind it. Thanks.
positivepaws

Post by positivepaws »

Dogs often fear the clicker at first. It's normal. I find that the best way to start clicker training these dogs is by purchasing a clicker with volume control or making a clicker noise with your mouth at first. Slowly increasing the volume of the clicker whilst charging it (with plenty of treats!) in the usual method will produce good results.

Tom
laceygraves1995

Post by laceygraves1995 »

my dog is a rescue dog that is afraid of, the clicker, cell phones,thunder,lightning,laser pointers,cameras,pedipaws which does not really work, toy guns, fireworks, firecrackers,sparklers,baths,wash cloths,certain tv shows, balloons, fireflies, babys, chiuauas, heaters, skateboards, bikes, trampolines,i dont put her on the trampolines she just doesnt like going near them, toads,jumprope,hula hoops, squirt guns, wii remotes, freaks out and licks her collar like crazy if i take it off, dvds, walkie talkies, spoons, medicine bottles, potatoes, umm what was i talking about again.... oh yeah lol and that stuff is not the half of it and the potatoe part, i rolled it across the floor, she sniffed it and ran upstairs, so yeah she hates them if they arent peeled
Bo's mum

Post by Bo's mum »

If starting work with quite a nervy dog, you cant beat a bit of blue tack on the clicker to silence it to the right level :wink: My Bo has learnt to work at normal and blue tacked level, its always handy when you need to be a bit quieter with ur training :D
GundogGuy

Post by GundogGuy »

I use these in my classes (I've even traveled silly miles to get them for my clients). They have a volume control although, to be fair, there is a less definite 'click' at the lowest volume setting...

If the dog is a hungry dog, try clicking while it's eating it's dinner... even from the next room and move gradually closer. As said some dogs are sensitive to the 'click'...
"Oh what gold there is to find when one is blessed with an open mind" - me, not five minutes ago :-)
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

In addition to all the good advice above, the iclicker is quieter than the metal clickers.

http://store.clickertraining.com/newiclick.html (mod edit - this is a nicer site to buy from :) )
clickertrain

Post by clickertrain »

While not very common, there are some dogs that do not react very well to a typical clicker. While the clicker is the preferred device to use, the method behind the training is to have your pet react to a certain sound. If the clicker is not to the dogs liking, find another sound source that is. Be creative - look around and see what you can find or make. How about a small empty jar like a baby food jar with a couple of pennies in it that you can shake. It's still a distinctive sound, but a little more pleasing to the ear.

Hope this helps...
Regards,

-Paul

Clicker Dog Training - Humane, Effective, FUN! -- http://www.facebook.com/clickerdogtraining