Agility course in our backyard

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sj96skittles

Agility course in our backyard

Post by sj96skittles »

Ok. I asked my aunt about using her agility course that's in her yard but she said you have to be a member of this club and go through allthese obedience classes then pass a test at the end. Don't wanna go through all that but I am dying to be able to make an agility course in our backyard with the help of my dad cause my mom is lazy and won't walk or even put the dogs up!!!
Anyway I was wondering where can I get agility things or stuffto make an agility coursE??
emmabeth

Re: Agility course in our backyard

Post by emmabeth »

Check out the thread in health and exercise... theres one there about exactly this, making agility equipment cheap/free out of safe items you might have around.

Did you explain to your Aunt that you just want to give your dog something to do, to help train her, rather than attempt to go for competitive agility.... (if you did then that sounds horribly to me like an adult 'excuse' to get you to go away. *grump* dont like it when grownups are mean!)

If you do try agility with your dog you MUST start off easily, low jumps, only a few weaves at a time, planks on the ground rather than a high up dog walk or a frame. You cannot make a dog not used to it start out doing really high jumps, high walks, long series weaves as tehy will nto be fit for that sort of work and can hurt themselves.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

--dontpugme
Christie

Post by Christie »

sj96skittles wrote:Ok. I asked my aunt about using her agility course that's in her yard but she said you have to be a member of this club and go through allthese obedience classes then pass a test at the end. Don't wanna go through all that but I am dying to be able to make an agility course in our backyard with the help of my dad cause my mom is lazy and won't walk or even put the dogs up!!!
Anyway I was wondering where can I get agility things or stuffto make an agility coursE??
There are a lot of websites that have advice on How to make home made agility equipment for your back yard I am having a issue where where I want that in my back yard but am hesitating to because when my neice's kids come for for their court order visits it will be torn apart I am not worried about the girls doing it if I had that set up the middle child & his little friend tearing it apart since he likes to fix things & if he and his little friend in the neighborhood doesn't do it then it will be a trouble maker that lives around the corner I wasn't aware of him until the lady across the street brought to my attention that this kid tried to pee on my dogs. See why I hesitate having agility equipment in my back Yard? :x :x :x