Dog doors

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sirlickalot

Dog doors

Post by sirlickalot »

G'day all. I am from Australia and I am staying at my sisters house while she's away overseas for 5 weeks. I recently installed a dog door so her dog could go in and out during the day. Unfortunately, the first time my dog went to go through she got hit by the flap as she was following another dog. Now she won't go through unless the flap is removed. Any ideas? Love the show and have learnt a lot from it.
cairnts

Post by cairnts »

what type of dog door is it
if it's one of the newer petway doors they can see through it,I have one of those in the door downstairs so my 2 cairns can go under the house as it's a highset, the male was a bit scared of it at first till he realized it did 't hurt if the door touched him as it's light plastic.

what you should try is putting the dog that has a problem with through first and you will have to coax it through it may take 2 people till the dog gets used to it don't force it through
have the dog door closed go to the inside of it have someone hold the dog,open the dog door place a treat on the floor near you so that dog will have to go through in order to get it as soon as it gets the treat go mad with praise. leave it for about 10 mins and try again eventually you should just tell you to come and it will go through on it's own.
sirlickalot

Dog Door Practice

Post by sirlickalot »

The dog door has a opaque plastic flap which the dog goes through. When we got the door, it was mainly for my sisters dog but my dog is a little bit bigger and taller. She seems not to be able to get her front paws up high enough to get over the ridge and is probably worried about tripping. I will keep trying and hope for the best. Thanks for the feedback. Really love this site! :D
cairnts

Post by cairnts »

it may be a slow proccess, if you use a treat the dog doe'snt get regular you will get a result use some thing like those little hans packs they sell at woolies the ones that have cheese through them they come in small packs my 2 can't resist them .