Poop Trauma

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Christine78

Poop Trauma

Post by Christine78 »

Hi all. I have a 10month old Boston Terrier. He loves to eat grass. It's not an upset stomach, its just because he loves the taste of it. Believe me I've tried everything and though the "leave it" command works most times.....he still finds a way to eat it sometimes. ANyway...my problem is this: because he eats grass, sometimes when coming out the other end, it gets "stuck" hanging and we have to help remove it. Not a problem...well, gross yes, but not a problem. The problem is that this has seriously traumatized him. He is literally afraid to poop for fear of the hanging or for fear of us helping I don't know, but he is afraid none the less. When going poop he starts out after finding the perfect "safe" spot and then as soon as he's finished and sometimes BEFORE he's finished he runs as fast as he can to the door to go in. He's been potty trained since 2months old and now he's starting to go in the house at times. I find that even when I take him out...he holds it. I know he has to go, but he just won't until he just can't hold it anymore. What in the world do I do to help him over this fear so we can go back to his normal potty routine?!!! Please! Any help, advice or shared stories is much appreciated!!

Thanks
Christie
Fundog

Re: Poop Trauma

Post by Fundog »

Yep, lots of dogs like to eat grass. This is quite normal. (In fact, grass actually is rather helpful for my little Dottie-Monster, who has colitis) I think it's more likely that it's your "helping" him that has him thrown for a loop, so it's okay to just stop that-- they really don't need help. If the grass eating seems to be binding him up a bit (it will do that to my Annie), then you could try adding a bit of grated apple to his food, to help loosen things up a little. Otherwise, just be patient and let him take all the time he needs to drop his "load." (These things are best not rushed) :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Try feeding a little coarsley blended fibrous vegetable matter - pumpkin, blended celery etc are good.... see if he still really wants to eat grass once you have fed this for a few weeks..
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Are you reacting in any way when you help pull the poop out? He might be afraid of that if you're freaking out. Not saying you are - you didn't mention either way so I'm asking. Also it may just be very uncomfortable.

My dog's the same. I've quit trying to make him stop unless he's grazing for too long on a walk. And when it hangs, I just ask him to wait and I pull it out for him, no muss, no fuss. Although he's gotten to the point where when I get close to his bum with my hand he'll sit. :lol: He knows what's coming.

But ditto emmabeth's advice.
Christine78

Post by Christine78 »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go back to the basics. I took treats out with us and everytime he pooped I showered him with good attention and treats. After about a week he seems to be over the "fear". I guess I may have been freaking out a bit when "helping" because he would run around wildly on the leash trying to shake it off all the while tangling me up with him. I changed my tone to calm and taught him the "wait" command. (Thanks Noobs) He is back to a regular potty routine, no accidents in the house and no more running when the poop gets stuck hanging. Thanks Again Everyone!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Thanks for the update. It's good to know you've got it all sorted now-- good job! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Woo, thanks for the update, and well done to both of you! :D