Bitter spray?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zeldacorgi

Bitter spray?

Post by Zeldacorgi »

What are your thoughts on using bitter spray as a deterrent to chewing on inappropriate things when puppy can't be monitored (i.e. owners away)?
Leigha

Re: Bitter spray?

Post by Leigha »

It works for some dogs and not for others. Mine thought it was a neato candy flavor, so it didn't work. Then I actually tried it myself and didn't like how it made my mouth feel (it might have just been the type I had) so I didn't use it anymore after that. For certain things, like the cords to electrical outlets, the numbing from the bitter spray is obviously the lesser of two evils when you consider bitter spray or chewing cords and dying from electrocution. Crate training is honestly what has worked best for our family, so we don't have to worry about the chewing while we're not home.
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Our puppy is crate trained, but one of our potential issues is if we have to leave her in her pen or crate we noticed she sometimes likes to chew the pen and the crate! :-) Even though she has toys in with her.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

My Max hates bitter apple! But like Leigha said some dogs don't mind at all. If doesn't hurt to try and if yr dog doesn't like it remember you have to spray object everyday for awhile. Max used to chew the satellite wires until I bitter appled them. Now he wouldn't dare.
Before putting pup into crate make sure he is exercised/walked & try giving him a frozen KONG full of food so he has to work at it.
If nothing improves you might have to put him in a puppy safe room with a baby gate or an xpen.
I sounds like he has a little separation amxiety--ther are tons of threads on this. Go have a read & implement the suggestions to lessen his anxiety b/c if you don't he will get worse.
Good Luck!
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I don't think it has anything to do with anxiety, although I am keeping an eye on her to make sure. I noticed that right now, she gets very mouthy when she's about to fall asleep. In this case, it would be an attempt to redirect her to toys. When I hear her chewing, I do go in a redirect her, which does work.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

The toys that you're putting in with her--are they like plushy cuddle toys or are they puzzle toys that would actually keep her occupied? The food-stuffed toys and puzzle toys like Kongs would help her with the chewing, but also divert her attention from chewing inappropriate things.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Zeldacorgi wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with anxiety, although I am keeping an eye on her to make sure. I noticed that right now, she gets very mouthy when she's about to fall asleep. In this case, it would be an attempt to redirect her to toys. When I hear her chewing, I do go in a redirect her, which does work.
My now two year old Chi-poo was (and still) is like this: I give her a Nylabone before she goes to bed now. It's our night time ritual. I'd recommend getting the flexible Puppy ones or Puppy teething keys as her new teeth grow in.
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I put her in her crate/puppy pen with two toys. I change up which ones she gets but she gets a softer toy (like her knotted wash cloth or tug rope) and a chewy toy (kong, nylabone, or tennis ball). If she's less tired when she has to go in, she gets kongs with food or treats in them.