Too many treats?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Zeldacorgi

Too many treats?

Post by Zeldacorgi »

I am using freeze dried beef liver cubes as a training treat for my puppy (which she goes NUTS for). The package says for "small" dogs the recommended serving size is 1-2 cubes. We end up cutting up the cubes because they're too big for her as is. Anyhoo, my main question is...is there harm in feeding her too many? Even cut up, I'm sure we're exceeding the recommended amount, but we do cut back on her meals so we're not overfeeding her.
Leigha

Re: Too many treats?

Post by Leigha »

I think as long as she's not gaining weight to the point that she's becoming overweight you're probably fine. If she looks like she's getting to be a bit too chunky, the treats should be the first thing to scale back. If she's not gaining weight and becoming overweight I'm pretty sure you're alright.
Noobs

Re: Too many treats?

Post by Noobs »

Ditto, as long as she's not getting fat and you are scaling down her regular meals to compensate so that's fine. If you're concerned about overfeeding, have you considered using her kibble (if that's what you feed her) as training treats sometimes? I use my dog's kibble for training treats instead of feeding him out of a bowl, and for new tricks or for training outside our house with higher distractions I'll use the special stuff.