My dog keeps peeing in her bed

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabull6606

My dog keeps peeing in her bed

Post by emmabull6606 »

Hello
MY 8 month old puppy keeps peeing in her beds and her armchair :( , i wash them so they dont smell of wee so whe wont go back in the same
spot but then she will wee in another bed. She has 2 beds and her own armchair, she know to go outside to go to for a wee because i have trained her to go outside but now and again she will go in her bed untill i find out and i dont see her doing it.
She doesnt tell me or let me know she want to go to the loo unless it is for a poo, i always have to ask her if she want to go for a wee every 2-3 hours.
Can someone please help me :(

Emma
Sarah83

Re: My dog keeps peeing in her bed

Post by Sarah83 »

Has she been checked by a vet? That would be my first advice, rule out infection or other medical issue that could be causing the problem. Rupert has peed while asleep a few times when he's been ill.

If she checks out as all clear on the health side I'd go back to potty training 101 as if she were a very young puppy. You say she knows to go outside but if she's going in the house with no medical reason then chances are she's confused as to where she's supposed to pee. How did you teach her to go outside in the first place? And how did you react if/when she had an accident in the house?
emmabull6606

Post by emmabull6606 »

Hi
I will call the vet and see what they say, i would pick her up and take her outside to the loo when i would catch her but now i dont catch her doing it which means i cant pick her up to take outside so she knows where to go.
When i went to get her she was in a big cage with her brothers and mum, they where peeing and pooing where they where sleeping so i dont know if she may think that it is still ok to do that. The cage looked clean but they were pooing when i was there and then the bloke put them all back in the cage turned the light off the left them.
Maybe it is that i just dont know, i will go back to taking her out every hour to see if that helps and so in the end she will let me know when she need the loo.
Thank you
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

When i went to get her she was in a big cage with her brothers and mum, they where peeing and pooing where they where sleeping
From what I've read on other forums this can cause house training problems and you're probably going to have to be really proactive about not giving her the opportunity to do it anywhere but outside. I've seen the tethering method recommended for puppy mill rescues and other dogs who've had no choice but to toilet where they eat and sleep. Crating often doesn't work because they'll just go in the crate. I don't know whether anyone here's experienced with the problem but I'll try to dig out some of the stuff I've read on other forums anyway in case this is what's going on here. Definitely get her checked at the vet to rule out medical problems though. No point trying to re-train if it turns out its a health issue causing it.
tinytwo

Post by tinytwo »

Hi! I agree with going back to basics! Keep your eyes on her more, so that she isn't able to sneak off and pee on her beds or chairs. :)
Do you clean the spots with an enzymatic cleaner, or vinegar? If you clean it so that you can't smell it, it doesn't mean that she won't be able to smell it. Dogs have many, many more sense receptors than humans, regular household cleaners aren't really good enough...
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Here's a thread on toilet training:

http://www.positively.com/forum/viewtop ... =20&t=6125
--dontpugme