Halti Collar.

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Re: Halti Collar.

Post by jacksdad »

Natalee wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't use a second lead if required.

I'm simply saying i've never had to as the halti has controlled my dogs to prevent them lunging and jumping.

As a point i never actually said in response to the first post which is what we were meant to be helping with, that they should only use a halti.

Just as i didn't mention a second lead does not mean i was suggesting they not use one.
Don't want to beat a dead horse or make like we are ganging up on you, but just because your dog didn't do or did do something doesn't mean your experience will translate to others. it is far better to error on the side of caution and recommend someone take extra safety precautions, then to assume just because you didn't need to do X, others won't as well.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

In addition, although sure, a dog may be prevented from throwing himself around simply by having the halti on, there are always external influences you have no control over which can make an animal behave unpredictably. For example, something could happen, a stranger could run up behind you and make him jump, could attack you, a massive truck could startle the dog.....just as examples. But then if the dog moved or jumped suddenly, with one lead on the halti his neck could be badly damaged.

I see so many people out and about walking their dopg with just one lead on their halti....and there is me with 2 leads. But as much as I want to say something to them and say "did you know it is advised to use 2 leads with a headcollar" I am often not near enough to them, or else I dont know whether I should offer this advice as it may not be wanted!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Natalee wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't use a second lead if required.

I'm simply saying i've never had to as the halti has controlled my dogs to prevent them lunging and jumping.

As a point i never actually said in response to the first post which is what we were meant to be helping with, that they should only use a halti.

Just as i didn't mention a second lead does not mean i was suggesting they not use one.
Hi Natalee, when we reply to posts we not only have to give advice to the person asking but we have to take into consideration the many people who come on to find help for their dogs but don't post. These people scroll through all the threads trying to find information that will help them. With this in mind we do try to give as much information as we can, not only on how to help the original poster but for those that are seeking help.

This is the internet and we can't see each other's body language so sometimes people read the words differently to how they were meant, it is a very fine balancing act getting it right. We were not having a go at you because you only used one lead, it worked that is what mattered, we were trying to give more information to those people who don't post. We do take every oportunity we can to do this even when we know the post is span, this happened yesterday.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]