Pheromone Collar

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

***Melissa***

Pheromone Collar

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I have a friend who has 4 Pugs and 1 South African Mastiff pup. One of the Pugs (male) scent marks in the house, and she thinks it's an insecurity thing. Unfortunatelly I don't have all the info about her doggies' daily routine, etc.

Anyway, she saw a pheromone collar which is suppose to have a calming effect on the dog wearing it. I tried to help her to get more info on it, but we can't determine how it works - so we don't know whether it will hurt the dog, or if it's giving off a strong smell that will be a punishment for the dog? She doesn't want to buy it if it can be harmful in any way.

I think the brand name of the pheromone collar is Sentryhc. It claims to have a calming affect, which will help with scent marking (amongst other things), but doesn't describe HOW it achieve that.

What is your opinions on this collar?
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
josie1918

Re: Pheromone Collar

Post by josie1918 »

I have seen these used for dogs who had high anxiety during thunderstorms, loud fireworks etc. The owners who used them said they had excellent luck, it is NOT punishment in any way, it is the pheromone given off by mother dogs, this has a calming effect upon the dog who is wearing it. I honestly DO NOT know if this is effective on scent marking or not. Is your friend using an enzyme based cleanser to clean up where "Mr." is marking? If not, the pheromones in the urine are still there and are encouraging him to return to urinate there. If she is not using an enzyme based cleaner (I am sorry, I dont know what products are available where you are but the one I use is Natures Miracle) that could be the problem.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

This sounds the same as the Dog Appeasing Pheromone collars, diffusers and sprays we can get (aka DAP) and they can be really helpful with all manner of anxiety based issues.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hi,
Thanx for the replies :D

Josie - I did tell her to clean with viniger or bio-degradable washing powder a few days ago :)

So I'll tell her it's okay to use the collar, hopefully this will help for her dog
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams