squeeky toy to the rescue!!

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pmcrae71

squeeky toy to the rescue!!

Post by pmcrae71 »

I had seen on one of the last episodes of IMOTD and saw where she used a squeeky toy to recall a runaway dog. My little Connor likes to escape from time to time and we cannot catch him, just follow until he tires out and comes home. Well, tonight he took off out the door and my daughter got the little hamburger toy I bought and started squeeking it and he came running back to her in a flash!! Connor is getting better at going poo outside. other than when he was sick a couple weeks ago, we have had no surprises hiding around the house. He is getting better at barking at the wind blowing when he's outside too. I have been sitting with him and praising him for the silence and treating for the being such a good boy. He's doing very well with the sit and starting to pick up on the stay, I just cannot get him to lay down. I tried making a tunnel/bridge with my legs and hold the treat on the other side from him and he will not go under my legs, he'll go around them and try to get the treat. Silly boy. :D

Ozzy is making great progress with the leave it command. So far he's doing well with treats and toys. Soon I will start with Connor on the leave it command. I am hoping that in the next few months I can add in the cats and see if they will still obey it. (the boys will be leashed and trained one at a time when I introduce the cats. I don't want any accidents) :D
Fundog

Re: squeeky toy to the rescue!!

Post by Fundog »

Awesome! It sounds like you've found his recall key-- now you'll have to be sure and keep that squeaky toy handy at all times, and carry it in your pocket when you take Connor out. It will be a valuable tool. :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
dodge-white boxer

Re: squeeky toy to the rescue!!

Post by dodge-white boxer »

pmcrae71 wrote:I just cannot get him to lay down
when he s in a sit hold the treat in front of his nose and slowly lower your hand while he s in a sitkinda following the shape of his chest,untill he s down--every time he s getting up have him in a sit again first,may take a bit longer then the "tunnel"(twice has done it for us) but it may be worth a try,xxxx