invisible fence?

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Dixies momma

invisible fence?

Post by Dixies momma »

i have a boxer who i would like to let run in the yard BUT the problem is if i do then he will run out of the yard and its like i would have to chase him to get him to come back. i do not want him bothering the neighbors and def dont want him to get hurt. i have seen ads and seen some people use the invisible fence. what i want to know is, is it really helpful or harmful etc. anyone use it? and i have not seen all of the shows episodes so i do not know what victorias thoughts are on the subject is. any tips, suggestions and advice would be appreciated because he is not getting the exercise he needs on just a short runner. but i do not want him hurt. thanks
Jake n Dixies momma
Mattie

Re: invisible fence?

Post by Mattie »

These fences give the dog an electric shock if they go near the fence, if they see something like a cat etc. they can still run through the fence because they are so hyped up they won't feel the shock, but when they try to get back in they won't be able to, the fence will keep them out. Also other animals can get it to your dog which isn't good, it could be a dog aggressive dog that attacks yours.

It wouldbe better to put up a fence, it doesn't need to be expensive, chicken wire will do put between posts. You can have the area as big or small as you can afford, it is much safer for your dog.

The best way to make sure he gets the exercise he needs is to take him for walks, Boxers needs nots of exercise, being in a yard isn't enough.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

As Mattie says... its a device that gives your dog an electric shock when it gets too close to the boundary.

YOu have no idea how your dog will react to that sort of pain until you do it, so our recommendation (in line with the philosphy of this board and Victorias training methods) is not to use one.

There was an episode of IMOTD where the owners had used an invisble fence system... the dog was so badly traumatised by this that he would not go out of the back door! Never mind near the boundary, he cowered and avoided getting off the deck!

Use a real fence, they prevent people and other animals coming IN which an invisible shock fence system cannot do - they dont cause your dog any pain or discomfort at all either. If funds are short you can fence off some of your yard now and some more later.. (I had to do this with my garden!)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

emms, which episode was that...i cant remember
--dontpugme
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

much appreciated. i really do not want to cause him pain and discomfort and i have no clue as to what they are like hence digging for info. i will be puttin up a fence since u reminded me of other animals gettin ing etc. as for the walking we have discovered a place we can take him on walks in the nature trail so that not only will they get exercise but so will we. thanks
Jake n Dixies momma
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

First US season.... aaaaaaand it was a boxer i think!... more than that im not sure... Victoria took the ecollar and threw it in the bin!
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Oh, i think you're talking about sampson. I thought it was a normal electric fence not invisible.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/animal- ... -video.htm
--dontpugme
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep its the Sampson episode i was thinking about.

That seems to be an invisible fence system just put along the existing fence rather than buried. The dog still wears a collar that gives him a shock if he approaches the boundary. A normal electric fence such as those used for stock, the animal has to touch the actual fence (and even these can cause some pretty severe reactions in dogs who dont really think the same way as cattle, sheep, horses even).
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

Keep in mind that many planned communities (what I call gulags) will not allow anything but an invisible fence. All about aesthetics you see. :roll:
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I lived for some time without a fence, I had to keep my dogs on a long lead when outside so they went out one at a time, with me.

Here in the UK there is far less of a culture of leaving dogs outside unattended.. so it doesnt seem to be such a problem as in the US. Also we tend not to have these silly rules about no fences around back gardens/yards..

In all honesty I would have to say... if a person does not have time to take their dog out for walks, and supervise in the yard on a long lead AND cannot put up a secure fence, then they just do not have an appropriate lifestyle/environment to own a dog. They must wait until they do, because dog owning is not a right, but a privilege.
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

i appreciate what have read so far. certain areas in the us are strict about pets staying in the yard. we are buying the home we are in and was trying to figure which would be best and with the help of advice given i dont like the invisible/electris fence so we will go with a regular fence. we do have time and means to have a dog just basically trying to get info on certain things b4 getting them and it end up harmful rather than helpful. i have learned alot from the show and tho i did have questions i proceeded to ask them here cos i have not seen all the episodes yet. either way thanks for the advice, etc
Jake n Dixies momma
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Fencing doesn't have to be expensive, stock fencing will keep a dog in just as well as a 10ft stone wall and is a lot cheaper. You can make an area with just what you can afford and make it bigger as you get more money. I had sold a big house and moved to a small one, I was able to put a very secure, nice looking fence in right away that would be quite cheap to replace any panells that are damaged.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ooops, I wasnt meaning you personally when i said if folk dont have the time... i was referring to the generic persons, you clearly DO have the time and inclination to figure stuff out! :)
Dixies momma

Post by Dixies momma »

i get what u r saying but just wanted it known. lol. i have this raccoon with no stuffing but has a ball in it that makes a purring sound when it is hit or dropped. dixie absolutely LOVES it....
Jake n Dixies momma
Bella1

Post by Bella1 »

We invested in one of the electronic fence systems. The first time it was used our dog ran through it so my husband turned the collar up to full strength (I was not home at the time)!! I came home from work and tried to pet the dog and she winced when I touched her neck, she had been burned by the prongs. She also kept having little "seizures" for 24 hours! I was mortified!

IF you feel the need to use one of these systems, please take the time to learn HOW to use it correctly and train your dog accordingly! Needless to say, mine went in the trash...and the several hundred dollar investment went with it.