Teaching Lead

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

g8er

Teaching Lead

Post by g8er »

I recently began reading about a training method by using a "teaching lead" developed by Sarah Hodgson. From what I have read so far, it sounds rather interesting. But was wondering if anyone had tried anything like this or if anyone knew of any pros or cons to this method or using this type of lead. Thanks!
Leigha

Re: Teaching Lead

Post by Leigha »

I've never seen that specific thing before, but I've seen episodes of IMOTD where Victoria has tethered dogs to their owners for various reasons. When we were in puppy class one of the owners was a stroke survivor with very limited use of one side so it was very difficult for her to hold a leash, click and treat at the same time. So our instructor got a longer lead and basically connected the dog to the owner so the puppy stayed near her for training purposes.

Like I said though, I have no personal experience with it so I can't comment on it's effective/usefulness.
emmabeth

Re: Teaching Lead

Post by emmabeth »

Hmm.. (curious as to how shes patented that, the concept has been around a long time and all I can see that is 'new' is using eyelets on the lead instead of d-rings or o-rings).

Its a useful technique if you need to be 'hands free' and also if you have a dog who can pull you over because fixing the dog to your waist means any force is much nearer your center of gravity - fixing to your shoulder (via your arm) means the force is applied far from your center of gravity and you then get pulled off balance (or splat onto the floor).

You can find double ended leads pretty easily, I think that Rogz make them (I had one it was very nice, big trigger one end, small trigger the other end, selection of solid o rings at various points along its length), Mikki make them, and any saddler will make you a nice leather one made to measure (I have had several ordered and made myself some too).

If you google CaniX, most websites that supply canix gear will do a belt designed to take a lead that will be secure also.

Also if you live in an open plan house and want a pup with you but not 'free range' using a leash tied round your waist can be really helpful.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant