List of tricks as requested

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

Re: List of tricks as requested

Post by Noobs »

Not even with the treat on the other side? Can you increase the value of the treat?

Doing a hula hoop would be super cute! But through arms, you can take that trick anywhere! I show it off at the pet store - the employees love it. :lol:
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Not even with the treat on the other side? Can you increase the value of the treat?
He's a ridiculously fearful dog around anything new and I guess I neglected to familiarize him with me sitting on the floor with one arm outstretched coz it apparently scares him to death. He's not motivated enough by food to follow a treat through, same with toys. Now if a live mouse ran through the gap he'd be through like a shot without even noticing. After 6 years I've kinda gotten used to working around his fears to get things done without upsetting him. He'll come round to it, it'll just take a little time. And once he's done it the first time he'll probably do it again and again and again for about half an hour after looking so pleased with himself it'll all be worth it :D
Doing a hula hoop would be super cute! But through arms, you can take that trick anywhere! I show it off at the pet store - the employees love it.
I know, I'm just not sure he'll actually fit through my arms :lol: Plus it may help him to learn to jump through the hoop then me gradually move my arms into position around the hoop and work on it that way rather than just asking him to go through my arms straight off. If you know what I mean.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Ah I didn't realize he was so scared of things like that. Well good luck, I bet you'll be successful with the hula hoop. But you probably won't be able to do a flaming one. :lol: :wink:
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Give it time and go slowly, you will get there I'm sure. Do lots and lots of work with your arms over and around him, maybe to begin with move your arm over him before you expect him to move under you. If he enjoys his dinner, you could use that as a mega reward at first, see if he will stick his head under one arm to get it. Obviously don't do that if he is likely to stress more! Think about it from another point of view, if you do manage to teach him this then it is one more thing he doesn't need to worry about, and once he realises that this is ok then you could do loads of other work in funny position as a way of desensitising him. That's what I have done, the nature of teaching Horus signs has naturally reduced his terrible handshyness when I got him.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Hey Murphy and I started doing the weave through legs trick! I believe I saw Horace's Mum's video that showed you have to stand in a doorway so the dog only has the option of going under your leg. I started out having to lift my leg up pretty high (you'd think I was marking my doorframe! :lol: ) but now I'm able to do it with both feet on the ground and just moving one leg forward

So far I've been able to get him to walk under my right leg, and then separately walk under my left. We haven't been able to put the 2 steps together yet because I need to work on having him walk the correct direction after he's gone under my leg - right now he's walking under and then going behind me! I think I might have to lure him to get him to go toward my front instead.

I'm also using the word "zoom" as the cue word - so I can go "zoom! zoom! zoom!" as he weaves through my legs. hahaha!!! :lol: