List of tricks as requested

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horace's Mum

List of tricks as requested

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ok, here is a list of all our big and little tricks, as many as I can remember. Anyone who is interested, tell me which ones you want training vids for and I will make them as fast as I can! If you already have a training vid for any of them, feel free to post them too, because I work in quite an individual way at times and sometimes there is an easier way for you hearing dog owners!!

sit, down, stand.
sit up and bag
stand on back legs/walking on backlegs
static leg weaving
walking leg weaving
paw, high 5, wave
spin right and left
back onto a box
stacking rings - in progress
musical toys!
shaking head
walking backwards
bow
cross paws - in progress
roll over - in progress
crawling
spanish walk - the horsy people will understand this one, its like a slow mo walk with the front legs coming up high
3 legs - in progress (just starting to move!!)
jumping through arms - vid already done
go to bed

That's all I can think of right now, some of them aren't quite finished, or haven't got a sign put to them yet, but maybe this will inspire me to get them finished and proofed so I can sign them! (We have to do the proofing before the sign is taught, rather than teach the word and then proof). Just those gives me 26 signs, and some of them don't use signs. If I add on all the obedience stuff we have another 10 or so, and then the few specific agility signs adds another 5-6, and then we have some other everyday signs like "who/what is it", watch, good, excellent, fantastic (!), stop, leave it, release. So overall we have at least 45 specific signs (I'm sure there are more, I just can't think of all of them in one go!!). That's not bad going for a boy who had 2 signs by the age of 3, only one of which had any meaning and that one wasn't very reliable!! On top of that we have any number of gestures that can have multiple meanings depending on the context (and yes, he does understand context :) ) Sorry, just had to take the opportunity to count up, that's made me smile.

So come on, what vids do you want people? Or do you have a new challenge for me?
emmabeth

Re: List of tricks as requested

Post by emmabeth »

Id like to see spanish walk please! also three legs and stacking rings - but they all sound brilliant!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I just read that list and went "dear lord how in the world will my dog ever do that..."
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Spanish walk should be fairly easy but my sleep deprived brain cant suss HOW i would get it to click it...

Leigha, you'll find some stuffs a lot easier when you see 'The Horus Show' and its broken down into steps...and of course theres the kick up the bum, if Horus can do it. theres really v little excuse for us lot!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I tried weaving through legs but so far I've only gotten him to do this two ways:

- Luring but he gets so excited for the treat that he's probably not learning anything.
- Getting him to walk under my legs just in one direction...so I'm probably going to build from that.

But I would love to see a static and walking leg weave! Pretty please!

I already taught Murphy to put a toy in a box and to jump through my arms thanks to your vids (I posted my own video last week in "Success Stories"), so I bet anyone can do it by watching your step-by-step videos!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh boy...that's a loooooooot of tricks!!! WOW!!!
I would love to see the paw / high 5 / wave, musical toys, and go to bed :D
That would be really awesome :)
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Wow crossing paws sounds cool to me Actually I had a dog many years ago you crossed her paws just b/c she wanted to We used to say she likes to sit like a lady. lol...
I saw a dog training show called "superfetch" & a big bernese mountain dog was taught to put toilet seat down & flush with its paw. it was AWESOME!

How about teaching Horus to get kibble from a gumball dispenser?
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Oh my goodness, what have I let myself in for?!!

Ok, paw/wave/high 5 is actually the precursor to the spanish walk, so I will do them together or as a 2-part series. Leg weaving I will do in 2 parts as well, because to us they are slightly different, to a hearing dog they may well be the same, I'm not sure. 3 legs is a work in progress but I can show you as far as we are up to, we just have to work on the movement part which is difficult at the moment due to Horus' hips. Stacking rings I have done a bit of in the past, but I will try and do a vid to show the whole process, although we haven't quite taken it to its limits. Maybe this will give me the push I need to move it on a bit more. Musical toys I will have to refresh cos we haven't done it for a while (it is a toy that plays music when he presses a button, but it is one trick that I have put to sign). Go to bed I can do easily. Crossing paws is again a work in progress, Horus gets rather excited with it because I tried to move it on too quickly when I started, so give me a few weeks on that one and I will see if I can put it to a sign using the collar - haven't tried it since I got the collar.

I wouldn't mind trying a gumball dispenser if I could find one cheap enough for a game, but he does have some of the nina ottoson type games that are good fun, he got 2 new ones for christmas, maybe I will put a video of them on as well.

Don't hold your breath on these, to start with I need to clear my dining room in order to have somewhere to video! But I will try and get at least one done this weekend, at least filmed even if it takes me a while to process it into a video.

Exciting!! new projects!!

PS Leigha, you will be able to do most of these tricks, they aren't that complicated as long as you make it simple. As Em said, if I can find a way to teach Horus without using my hands to position him or my voice to guide or encourage him, then you should be able to get a lot of them, given enough time. Some of them are a bit more complex, because I do have a boy who's brain is far too bright for his own good, but that is balanced out by the longwinded way we have to do somethings! (At least I hope that's what she meant, rather than implying he is stupid so if he can do it anyone can!! :evil: :roll: :lol: :lol: )
sherrymyra

Post by sherrymyra »

holy cats. That is alot of tricks. My dogs know sit, shake, and one knows down. How on earth do you go about training all of these? I would love to see any video on how to train. I have read some but I need alot of direction on the how to's.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Here is Horace's Mum's video for teaching a dog to jump through arms - that's a fun one to start with!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYUzqFJEY7U
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Can I sue you if I end up knocked out by the overenthusiastic mutt I own while trying this? :lol: I'm gonna (carefully) try teaching Rupert to jump through my arms.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Errr....... I'd rather you didn't, cos no-one would take Horus if I went to prison :(

But if you follow the instructions carefully then your dog should learn to jump cleanly through your arms, its up to you to keep your head out of the way!! :lol:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Oh yeah, I can attest to that. When Murphy first learned how to jump through my arms he was so excited he didn't have as much "finesse" as he does now...and I was a little careless and BAM! His head and my chin collided. Oww....
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Well, I attempted this jumping through arms trick today and hit a stumbling block...Rupert will not go under my arm. He'll happily step over my arm if I hold it out close to the floor but go under it? Impossible! So I've had to sort of do a prologue....we're working on him walking under my arm first. Well, putting his head under my arm more like. I'm actually considering buying one of those large hula hoops to be honest and teaching him to jump through that instead.