Head collars for reactive/aggressive dogs

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Horace's Mum

Re: Head collars for reactive/aggressive dogs

Post by Horace's Mum »

Most car harnesses that are advertised have not really been tested, I know of only one make that is in the UK and that is incredibly expensive. But I would get a proper car harness, because they have wider straps especially across the chest - imagine the force on those thin straps of a normal harness if you were to slam the brakes on.

The safest way is probably to use a crate, just big enough for the dog to sit up in and lie down in. You don't want it so big that they rattle around in it though. I used to use a soft fabric one that fitted nicely in my car, now I have a metal one in my van. Make sure the crate is secured so it won't shift in an emergency, and if it is metal make sure it has an emergency exit on a different side or the roof. The advantage of crates is that in an accident your dog is still secure and can't escape and run off. They also allow the dog to move around and be more comfortable than when they are strapped in to a seat. And you can leave a non-spill water bowl in with them so they have constant access to water.
horsefreak88

Re: Head collars for reactive/aggressive dogs

Post by horsefreak88 »

Thanks for the input, Horace's Mum :) Unfortunately fitting a crate in my car isn't an option at the moment (I drive a teeny little Celica), otherwise this is something I would've done right from the beginning. We are looking into purchasing an SUV, but until then I guess I'll look into a better harness for the car!