...about the clicker....

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dontpugme

...about the clicker....

Post by dontpugme »

I know that you can use a clicky pen in the place of a clicker. Most clicky pens make different sounds when you click the point in and out. For example, some pens sound like this: tick TACK...then tick TICK. I started with the clicky pen today and was wondering if the different clicks could influence training in any way.

When I started with the pen, I didn't think it was loud enough, so I went to the store to buy a clicker. I read on the sticky thread that clickers are relatively cheap. The only one I found was about 4 dollars. Is this fair or a rip-off?
emmabeth

Re: ...about the clicker....

Post by emmabeth »

That price sounds about right I think... I know in the uk its usually cheaper to get them online and buy 5 at a time (I always lose them!).

With clicky pens... or other household objects you need to keep that item safe because some dogs will be really specific and only get the sound taht ONE item makes. Other dogs will generalise quite fast that one clicky pen sounds much like another... but not all will.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Thanks! I will search the web and consider buying in bulk.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

We got the generic store brand clicker from PetSmart and it was less than $2.00, but that's just because I didn't like the other ones they had and refused to pay much more than that. There's a clicker I've been eyeing, I just haven't gotten around to ordering it (they don't have them at the stores nearby).
littlehorses

Post by littlehorses »

I like the ones with a finger loop instead of a wrist coil, easier for me to use. I get them online at the same place I buy my other dog supplies.
Dusti and Bellyra CGC and Star CGC

Great Danes aren't my whole life.....they make me whole.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I've used a few different types of clickers and they all sound different. It takes a couple of clicks with a new type of clicker for Rupe to realise that it means the same, especially if it's a softer click than the one I normally use, but that's it.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Thank you all for the info. I'm not planning on using one, but was wondering if anyone had ever used one of those clicker leashes. They have a clicker built in to the handle. Looks like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Clickerleash-1-Wi ... 091&sr=1-1
gracesong

Post by gracesong »

Do the clicky pens work just as well as the clickers themselves?
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

dontpugme wrote:Thank you all for the info. I'm not planning on using one, but was wondering if anyone had ever used one of those clicker leashes. They have a clicker built in to the handle. Looks like this:

O wow! I've never heard of the clicker leash! How is it used??
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

sj96skittles wrote:
dontpugme wrote:Thank you all for the info. I'm not planning on using one, but was wondering if anyone had ever used one of those clicker leashes. They have a clicker built in to the handle. Looks like this:

O wow! I've never heard of the clicker leash! How is it used??
It looks like a regular lead. The handle is made of what looks like heavy duty plastic. There's a button where your thumb would be where the clicker is.
--dontpugme
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

O. So is it like a clicker built into the leash? Are you gonna get 1?
Last edited by sj96skittles on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oi oi - no text speak! This isnt facebook and it isnt a text message, you are free to use vowels and consonants and use as maaaaaaaaany of them as you like :D *hands you some vowels* (not really shouty, just a reminder!)

I use clickers on a bit of elastic that goes round my wrist because i prefer leather dog leads, but I can see this could be handy for some people, especially as handling lead, clicker, treats etc can be pretty tricky at times!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I don't really need one. I'd rather have my clicker around my wrist.
--dontpugme