House training??

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chelle&honey

House training??

Post by chelle&honey »

Honey was doing really well up until about a week ago, she started to pee and poo under the dining table!!! :shock:

I have no idea why, before this she was doing well going to her pads near the back door, now she has had her second injection i have started to take her out to the garden and i stay with her and encourage her to 'go' outside and when she does i start praising her like mad and give her a treat.

so now that i am doing this should i not treat her when she goes to her pads and 'goes' there??

Why has she now taken to 'going' under the table??

what am i doing wrong?

Michelle x
Owning a dogue de Bordeoux for the fist time and love her to bits!!
emmabeth

Re: House training??

Post by emmabeth »

It probably feels like a secure place to go - has anyone been cross with her for making a mistake, even a tiny weeny bit cross (even just THINKING a cross thought.... they can read body language SO well that even just thinking 'argh' can be enough!)..

If you are taking her outside now then remove the pads when you are at home (and crate her if you are out for an hour or so, t hough you cant do this for long periods its not fair and can result in them learning to go in the crate) and increase the frequencey of taking her out.

Try not to give her access to the dining room table, to prevent her from going under there.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

Thanks Emmabeth

I think my husband can sound 'cross' when saying 'ah' when we catch her doing it any where but the pads, so maybe it was this.

I have managed to get her to 'go' outside a few times, i hope she takes to this well!!

Am i still ok to leave pads down at night time?? and when i go out for long periods (longer than an hour?)

Michelle x
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Yep I would - and yeah for now until shes really hot on going outside, I wouldnt even say 'ah', some pups will be fine with it and some will be more sensitive and find it off putting and link it NOT to where they are going, but the fact that someone is watching them go!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

Thanks Emmabeth

I have just told my hubby not to say anything when he catch's honey doing 'it' where she shouldnt just pick her up and put her outside!

Michelle x
klouise1287

Post by klouise1287 »

i am a wheelchair user and i have a six almost 7 week old puppy bella its just me and her most of the time im trying to get her to "go" on pads and wen she does i praise like mad an give her a treat but she is getting into a habit of "goin" everywhere else to. is there anything i can do? :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Is it possible for you to take your puppy outside to toilet, it will be much easier to train than on pads. Have a look at this thread it may help. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6125
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]