Head Collar (Gentle Leader) and clicker

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Keri & Vono

Head Collar (Gentle Leader) and clicker

Post by Keri & Vono »

I just got my doggy Vono a Gentle Leader and tried it out today. That is probably the best $25 dollars I have ever spent on any dog. He worked perfectly, instantly and it didnt seem to bother him. He didnt pull at all, he walked by my side and we had a very pleasant walk together.

I also just bought a clicker the other day and I've been training him everything and that seems to be working very well also. Thanks for all the advice I've received on here. I'm learning lots and so is my pup!
Keri Li
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

Hiya Keri Li

So glad you're having good results with the head halter. Slight word of warning on the Gentle Leader as a brand though is that Dharma (our Bullmastiff) has broken 2 of these because of the flimsy plastic clip under the chin. Keep an eye on that - given the issues you're facing with Vono (and his strength probably being similar to Dharma's), I'd hate for it to happen to you at a crucial time. It probably won't, but I thought about Dharma breaking and slipping hers, and wanted to give you a heads up so you can keep an eye on any stress put on that clip.

Take care and best of luck!

Kathy
xx
KathyM

Post by KathyM »

Oh I forgot to say - a Gentle Leader doesn't close the mouth either (going back to what Ems was saying in her post about using one), unlike the Halti and similar style halters.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

a great alternative if you're concerned about the little snap breaking and you losing your furbaby is to use two leads, whether you prefer to use a flat collar or a harness attach a 6ft lead (I like to tie this one to my person usually to a belt loop or summat) and attach a shorter lead to the gentle leader.

this offers maximum comfort on the part of the handler as you have that "back up" should for whatever reason your houdini slips the head collar. Just make sure that there is plenty of slack in the long lead and that you're following directions for the head collar.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown