Welsh ban on shock collars

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

mum24dog

Welsh ban on shock collars

Post by mum24dog »

Getting nearer -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8317456.stm

Yay!!!!!!

Pam
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd rather they banned their puppy farms.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

It doesn't have to be either or. One fairly significant step and it will hopefully persuade the shilly shallyers in the rest of the UK to follow suit (but I'm not holding my breath.)
Aren't you pleased?

Pam
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

It was the Welsh Assembly that paid farmers to breed dogs and is one of the reasons we have so many puppy farms now. :cry:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Those stupid people. We should stop buying dogs and adopt instead. If we keep buying those "cute puppies", then the BAD breeers will earn a HUGE profit because they know that we are continuously buying the dogs. They LOVE and WANT you to buy them, so spread the word that adopting is better than buying and tell them why!
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Better to educate the public to buy healthy dogs from good caring breeders and then there will be fewer dogs in shelters anyway.

I agree it doesn't have to be 'either-or' but I am cynical that the Welsh Assembly sets up a situation that brings grief to tens of thousands of dogs and owners each year, but makes a big self-congratulatory noise about banning something that hardly anyone uses anyway.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

DogzRule....

Some of the posters here ARE breeders. breeders of quality, extremely well raised pups, bred to do a job and do it well...

Reputable, responsible, GOOD breeders dont make a huge profit.. in fact if you work out their incomings and outgoings as per the tax mans requirements, they make a huge LOSS breeding properly!

It is the puppy farmers and the back yard breeders, those who churn out hundreds of pups a year and couldnt care less when they are ill, they die, they have mental and physical health problems... and those who think 'ah well, our dogs having pups, ill sell them for $100 in the store window..' but dont raise the pups properly, dont have health checks, dont get them wormed or checked by the vets.....

Its these people that are creating the problem.

Without good breeders - we would ONLY have poor examples of any breed, ill, unhealthy, mentally unstable animals... And much though I love my own second hand, accidentally bred, ill thought out doglets... and i love them every bit as much as the ones bought from reputable breeders...

I would rather not have them in my lives, if it meant that the ONLY dogs we had were well bred, well raised animals of sound physical conformation and temperament (and im not just talking pedigrees here either!).

I need to go and look at the link Pam.... are they just going to ban the sales.. or the purchase. or the use? Or all of it.

Because I am getting prettttttty sick of laws that mean ignorance on the buyers part gets them off scot free.

I didnt entirely agree with the docking law, though here isnt the time/.place for that debate - but exempting the buyer from ALL responsibility to me is just ridiculous. Until the buyer is as responsible ... pups will still be docked when they shouldnt be... people will still buy things they shouldnt buy.

Tis half hearted and half-*ssed... and a waste of time in many respects.

Look at the number of people who own a docked dog now and have NO idea if their dog is legal or not! And then how many of those care?.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

But that's what I meant. I mean getting a dog from the ACTUAL breeder (meeting the mother and father dog) and stuff like that is perfecty fine, but Petland is supposedly heard to be a puppy mill. You never meet their parents, and they usually come home and fall ill in a few days.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
monib1969

Re: Welsh ban on shock collars

Post by monib1969 »

I'm in the US but I am one that feels breeding laws need to be more stringent. I feel 200% that pet stores should not be allowed to sell pets. Simply becasue they are kept in small cages and learn many bad behaviors before going to new owners, who then usually do not know how to handle or properly train a puppy let alone one that comes with genetic baggage from puppy mills and then they end up in shelters and euthanized.

I don't even think any Joe and Nancy should be allowed to breed their pets just because they may be "registered" or "good looking." Registration doesn't neccesarily mean good temperment and nerves. I feel like anything else they should be licensed to breed and must have training courses as well. Not only because of poor genetics and too many in population, but because the critical imprinting age for puppies starts at 8 weeks. This is a crucial time to begin marker training them and the new owners to continue this training once they are purchased. We always started our puppies at 8 weeks and not only screened potential owners to the hilt to make sure they could handle a GSD properly, but sent them home with DVD's and books and offered free training. This not only ensures the puppies well being but also ensures that the owner and dog will live happily together and that our pups wouldn't end up in shelters or euthanized.

It just makes me ill to see people breeding dogs and even cats that have no clue.