recall the most important command

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shadowb

recall the most important command

Post by shadowb »

We just rescued another rotti after losing our rotti baby of 15 years. She came from the Bronx, no accent ;-). We suspect she was a companion dog or guard dog for some one. Her manners are excellent, she had 2 broken teeth so we suspect she had some one hit her. After some snapping incidents with her ( no serious bites) she is a wonderful dog, but was never in the country, her prey drive is serious. I purchased a field whistle and after 2 days she was coming to me. Thank you Victoria, I would have never thought of this, as she gets focus on little animals that we have living in our woods I blow the whistle and she bounds to me.
If you would like I can send you a video, I think this soul would have been sent to Rainbow Bridge to soon
Kathy and Shadow
BestFriends General Store

Whizz Clix Whistle Clicker Combination

Post by BestFriends General Store »

After watching the whistle episode I order Whizz Clix -- they are a clicker whistle combination. Sure enough my dogs quickly come to the whistle. Then I reinforce it with the clicker and a treat! Finally, my dogs come to me when I want them too!
Candy Blakeslee, Betsy and Norman's mom
Betsy and Norman own BestFriends General Store. I work for them. We strive to have more dog toys than any other site on the internet.
Alfie F.

RECALL

Post by Alfie F. »

We've rescued a year old Black Lab and a tri Border Collie. We are going to excellent training classes and progress has been good. However, recall is evading us and the Border Collie (Charlie) has yet to come off the training leash. So tomorrow I'm going to get a whistle and loads of treats (cheese is his favourite) and try the 'Victoria way'. Hopefully it won't take Charlie too long to realise that I'm his best friend and he really wants to be with me.

We've just joined the Forums and must say lots of good advice and interesting reading. We watch IMOTD almost every day and think Victoria has some great training ideas. Love her whole attitude. She's really a pleasure to watch.
sherrymyra

Re: recall the most important command

Post by sherrymyra »

That wiz click thing looks interesting. I would like to try it. I am from the states and don't see anywhere it is available here. I found it on Ebay though.
kerbyk

Post by kerbyk »

I am excited to try this method for my chocolate lab. He is four though do you think it will still be effective or is to late?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Kerby, as the saying goes, "It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks." And four years old isn't really "old." I think you will have marvellous success! :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
cleosmomma

Post by cleosmomma »

I need to try this with my dog. She is so giant that people are afraid of her bounding up to them. She is very well behaved, never jumps up unless invited, but a 100lb Great Dane barreling towards you is quite intimidating.