Proper crate size??

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MsPauly

Proper crate size??

Post by MsPauly »

How do I pick the proper crate size for my new pomeranian puppy?
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Well, first of all, make sure the crate isn't too small. Your dog needs room to walk around in. It can't be too big either, for if s/he is in a car, then s/he will bump around the hit the sides of the crate and hurt itself. You should go to a store that allows dogs and ask them if you can try the different crate sizes for your dog, or you can ask them for assistance. Hope this helps!
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Crates need to be big enough for the dog to turn around, stand up, sit, lie down, all without having to bend their head down or crouch.

But they must also be small enough so that a puppy cannot seperate out a sleeping area from a toiletting area as the last thing you want is a pup learning to toilet in the crate.

I would buy a crate big enough for the adult pomeranian, and then use a divider (some crates you can get with dividers, others you might need to bodge something up using some cardboard boxes to block off the far end).

Disregard what DogsRulez says - because if a crate is big enough for a dog to turn around, stand, lie down and sit in, its also big enough for them to bump around if they are in a car and you stop suddenly. For travelling in cars, I would recommend a secure harness and seating the dog on teh back seat, not crating in the luggage space in the back. Travelling in the middle of the vehicle is less likely to cause nausea.
MsPauly

Post by MsPauly »

thank you very much for the advice!! I appreciate it!
HenrysDad

Post by HenrysDad »

emmabeth wrote:.Disregard what DogsRulez says - because if a crate is big enough for a dog to turn around, stand, lie down and sit in, its also big enough for them to bump around if they are in a car and you stop suddenly.
Did I miss something? Because DogsRulez said
It can't be too big either, for if s/he is in a car, then s/he will bump around the hit the sides of the crate and hurt itself.
Pretty much the same thing you said, there. :?