Professional/Dogshow Grooming Supplies

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

whitesam

Professional/Dogshow Grooming Supplies

Post by whitesam »

Does anyone know where to get professional grooming supplies like you sometimes see sold at dog shows? Brushes, combs, scissors, clippers etc.
springermomx3

Post by springermomx3 »

What exactly are you looking for?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

google - search for things like 'professional dog grooming supplies'....

Im in the uk and so cant recommend any stores really as im sure it would be cheaper to buy in the US... http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/d ... pplies.htm These guys came up when i did a google search but if you search yourself you'll find more relevant results.

Im using budget students hairdressing scissors though, rather than 'dog' scissors as these seem cheaper (and i dont intend to do a lot of cutting!).
whitesam

grooming supplies

Post by whitesam »

Thanks for the interest. I actually found some internet sites when looking @ some listings for dog shows. For US, Cherrybrook has a nice selection of high quality items far superior to what I've seen in any pet store. It cost me 2-3 times more but the results and increase comfort for my dog was definitely worth it.
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

emmabeth wrote:Im using budget students hairdressing scissors though, rather than 'dog' scissors as these seem cheaper (and i dont intend to do a lot of cutting!).
My mother was a professional groomer in the 1960s and always used hairdressing scissors. I still have a pair of hers now in use for their original purpose and virtually never need to get them sharpened.

Pam
whitesam

hairdresser scissors

Post by whitesam »

A vendor at a dog show tipped me off to the hairdresser scissors too when I mentioned $75.00 was a little more than I wanted to spend just to trim my dog feet. I ended up getting a pair of thinning shears as well as regular 6in trimming scissors. His feet no longer look choppy & it is much easier to do. I
also picked up an inexpensive version of the "Petipaw,Pedipaw"--basically a Dremel. It's low power(if I press too hard it stops) but I don't have to worry about it accidently pulling fur or burning. I use it after trimming the tips of his nails so I don't have to cut so close to the quick & risk nicking the quick.I get better control & manuverability without the guard so I don't use it since it's so low powered. If tangled or pulled fur is a problem though, sticking the nail through an old pair of nylon stockings keeps the fur out of the way.