gentle/halti leader vs. pull training harness

Discussion of useful training and pet care tools.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thom6597

gentle/halti leader vs. pull training harness

Post by thom6597 »

Hello,

I have a 4 year old pit mix that loves to pull on his lead during walks. he loves chasing squirrels and other dogs in addition to pulling me, so I would like to know which harness would be better, a gentle, a halti, or a pull harness???
thank you,
Mary Ann
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

No matter which tool you use from a pull harness or halti (or even the aversive collars) in and of themselves are not the magic bullet for teach your dog to not pull when walking.

Please read the sticky thread on loose leash walking. It is an excellent way to help teach your dog how to walk.

For teaching purposes I have always liked the sensation or easy walk harnesses. They are easy to put on and work well with positive training methods.

For each task we train our dogs there are different levels of understanding, From preschool to College level. If your dog cannot walk at a preschool level, its unfair to expect him to walk at a college level.

For walking :
preschool: Walking in a room around chairs and tables
elementary: Walking in a classroom with other dogs around or walking around in a fenced back yard.
jr High: Walking around the front yard or area with moderate distraction.
Highschool: Walking around your block or down a city street
College: Off-leash heel work, Walking on a wildlife trail or other areas of heavy distraction

Plan for success in your training and do not advance levels too quickly. Its better to spend and extra week or two with what he can do and do well, than to jump too far ahead and raise the probability of failure.
Mattie

Re: gentle/halti leader vs. pull training harness

Post by Mattie »

thom6597 wrote:Hello,

I have a 4 year old pit mix that loves to pull on his lead during walks. he loves chasing squirrels and other dogs in addition to pulling me, so I would like to know which harness would be better, a gentle, a halti, or a pull harness???
thank you,

Nothing is better, no matter what you put on your dog to stop him pulling you need to train your dog as well. It is the training that stops the pulling not a gadget, they only give you help so you can train your dog.

There is a sticky in Methods on teaching a dog to walk on a loose lead, it will be worth you reading it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]